Bird nesting box plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This a big ask but has anybody got plans for bird nesting boxes. I've got some ideas in my head but it's easier to work from plans. I had one plan from Bob the other day but could do with a few different designs.

Many thanks

Graham

Grayo":vn9tfuj2 said:
Hi All,

This a big ask but has anybody got plans for bird nesting boxes. I've got some ideas in my head but it's easier to work from plans. I had one plan from Bob the other day but could do with a few different designs.

Many thanks

Graham

I would be interested in the plans on nesting boxes too, should any one have some please.
'Er indoors suggested I would like to make a couple of boxes. I have made some before but
I believe there are some crucial measurements to be remembered. Regards Rodders

Tony Spear":16yelegx said:
Take a look at the RSPB website - there's lots of good stuff on there.

Thanks Tony, Bob sent me the plans from the RSPB wedsite the other day but was wondering if there were anymore around.

I have been reading a few posts on the forum and believe the hole to floor measurement is also crucial as well, apparently the chicks can't get out if it's to deep and have been found dead in the boxes.

Something I picked up on a while ago was how crucial the size of the hole is for attracting or dissuading certain varieties of bird. You can't just cut any size hole you like . . . unless you aren't too fussed about which birds nest in there. I also discovered that if you want to attract the robin then you need to have an open side (like a ledge with a roof on) as they appear to be claustrophobic !!

If you type bird box plans into Google then click on images it will display lots of plans. Just download the ones you want :wink:

chaps....the reason I always build the plan from the RSPB website is because its been tried and tested by the Nations bird experts. Those two hole dimensions I quoted for example are precisely known diameters based on experience from the RSPB. In other words they are known to select the particular species of tit I quoted. I have personally built around 20 of these for friends and family and I have at least 12 of them in my garden. Year after year they attract blue and great **** in my case. Bottom line they work. I did have one of those open sided Robin ones but it never got taken up by a robin. I've always found Robins find their way into an old shed through a crack on the featheredge and occupy an old clay plant pot or similar.

The other cracking thing about that design off the RSPB site is its a doddle to fix and all the assumptions for optimum bird health (including dimensions) are baked into the design.....because they're the experts. I think what I'm trying to say is that no-one need worry about whether or not its the right this or that for **** as its RSPB approved. Now if its not whats wanted aesthetically then that's a different matter ie one might want a different look to the design, pitch roof etc etc. That's a case of fish around the internet I guess. But if you want a bird box that's known to be good for birds then the RSPB one is excellent. When it stops raining I'll snap and post some of the ones in my garden. Only yesterday I watched a blue tit enter one with a piece of moss :)

Here's those snaps. Various woods because I tend to make them out of the off cuts of whatever project yielded enough of an off cut.

Attachments

• RSPB design bird box 1.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 192
  • RSPB design bird box 2.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 193
  • RSPB design bird box 3.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 3.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 192
  • RSPB design bird box 4.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 4.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 192
  • RSPB design bird box 5.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 5.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 191
  • RSPB design bird box 6.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 6.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 191
  • RSPB design bird box 7.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 7.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 191
  • RSPB design bird box 8.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 8.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 192
  • RSPB design bird box 9.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 9.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 192
  • RSPB design bird box 10.jpg
    RSPB design bird box 10.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 192
Thanks for all the advice all. Below just a couple of boxes I made yesterday based on the RSPB design.

I think pallet timber is a good choice as it's well and truly weathered so there should be no warping at all. I've had it in the garage drying out for a couple of weeks and it's all still flat.

cant believe I never thought of that Gray....it really is a cracking idea. I've got about a dozen from when we built this house....languishing behind a shed. Also my new neighbour is building next door (he's the guy who's flatbed my ash tree destroyed!!) and he has them stacking up destined for the bonfire no doubt. Great way to recycle them.

last year I got hold of a couple of pallets... made about 10 of these and put them on a table at the end of my drive, £5 each. They all sold within a weekend with passing motorists stopping to buy them, £50 donation to the local RSPB for a few hours work which I did inbetween glue ups of some furniture I was doing.

Lee J":3e9qgmp5 said:
last year I got hold of a couple of pallets... made about 10 of these and put them on a table at the end of my drive, £5 each. They all sold within a weekend with passing motorists stopping to buy them, £50 donation to the local RSPB for a few hours work which I did inbetween glue ups of some furniture I was doing.

Great idea Lee, only problem is around here they would probably nick em lol and the tin with the money in lol. I've got to see a guy tomorrow with a view to selling some to him for his pet store. Any funds made will have to go back into my wallet thou to recuperate funds spent after giving it a bit of a bashing over the last few weeks. I've roughly worked it out that I've spent £1,700 on machinery to get my new hobby off the ground phew.

on a related note, 'insect' houses seem to be massively expensive for what they are, anyone got nay good plans for them ;)

Random Orbital Bob":3cptp7p1 said:
That's whats known as the thin end of the wedge Gray :)

(Or is it that your wedge is now thin and at an end!!!!)

My wedge is now thin and if I spend anymore HWMBO is going to nip the pointy end off lol

Well just been down to sauce some more pallet timber, I could only get 125mm this time instead of the preferred 150mm but that will do for now and the best bit it didn't cost a penny.

Homerjh":6swxlgax said:
on a related note, 'insect' houses seem to be massively expensive for what they are, anyone got nay good plans for them ;)

Yes your right I've been looking into this. Bat boxes, bird boxes, insect boxes, hedgehog boxes, even hamster/mice boxes, so there's a lot out there to make for just got to get on with it now.

Back