Bird boxes - do they need an opening lid?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title, do you need to be able to get inside a nesting box?

I've been asked to make one, and someone mentioned the need to clean them out?

Many thanks

Yes, either lid or front panel,
Dependant upon design can be a split front panel allowing assembly as 'robin' box with open top half front or 'tit' type with small upper half with hole that can easily be removed.

Some birds will clean them out* but best to do it and get rid of the mites etc.

*especially if you put something in there like moss they don't like. :lol:

Be aware the birds may not use the box at first. I have a family of blue **** in my garden and i think it was 3 years before they used it. Then after cleaning it out of the nest and dead babies :(

They didn't use it last year again.

No treated timber just plain PAR that i had lying around. Think it was 2 babies, well skeletons when i found them.

I use Flashband as a covering on the sloping roof. It's non-toxic (well, bitumen under aluminium foil) ehsures it doesn't leak and inhibits rot starting. We've had poor occupancy rates over the last few years though. Even more frustrating, the **** still visit the food, but won't use either of our two nestboxes.

E.

We have 23 bird boxes, that's right 23, if swmbo had her way it would be 103 :roll: . Each one is different :shock: :D

They all get cleaned out every year at least once.

We get blue **** nesting every year, it is important that the box is thoroughly cleaned out at the end of each nesting season. An access point for cleaning is essential.

I always place my boxes with the hole facing north. This year the tenants in different boxes been blue ****, great **** and bumble bees. With wrens using one over last winter for shelter over night.

i place a hinge at btm of box all the (rubbish) falls out easy to modify existing (bought) box have had **** for two years hope they return this year

Back