Bird, Bat and Anything Nest Box Challenge.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

Major Clanger
Reaction score
I saw this and thought it might make a nice idea for a group effort to make a swift box each out of scraps (I'm sure we all have some scraps lying around ) and install it for the summer....Who will join me ?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/20/the-man-who-built-homes-for-60000-swifts-aoe
Here's some plans....

https://www.bristolswifts.co.uk/swift-nest-box-design/
Loads more on the web.

By popular demand, it's open to all bird, bat and anything nest boxes to see what we can tempt into our gardens this summer.

Last edited:
How about opening it up to all bird boxes. A quick google suggests that we would struggle to find a suitable location on our house for a Swift Box.

been there a while......we put up boxes for blue **** but they wern't interested.....
now it took a year but the house sparrows love em.....
norm get 2 broods a year.....
Please also include BAT boxes to ur build list......have my offcuts ready to go for our's....

been there a while......we put up boxes for blue **** but they wern't interested.....
now it took a year but the house sparrows love em.....
norm get 2 broods a year.....
Please also include BAT boxes to ur build list......have my offcuts ready to go for our's....
Done.

I'm looking forward to your bat box build.

You will probably find birds don't use new nest boxes in the first year, I think they prefer them after they've mellowed a bit. I have always wanted to build an owl box to install in one of our ash trees so I'll look into that.

I built a shed for my dear old Ma last winter and incorporated a nest box inside it with an entrance hole under the eaves. I made the hole really small to encourage blue **** and they were straight into it in the spring. I don’t think there’s much in the way of suitable nest sites where she lives though.

I made a matching bird box to go with my bat boxes ( i started a bat conservation thing last year )
Being solid lumps of wood, better thermal insulation and of course closer to a natural setting...

I need to do some more, these were prototypes
Batroost.co.uk

Attachments

• 20210816_170937.jpg
    20210816_170937.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210816_171550.jpg
    20210816_171550.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210816_164807.jpg
    20210816_164807.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210809_190615.jpg
    20210809_190615.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210809_094227.jpg
    20210809_094227.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210626_154306.jpg
    20210626_154306.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 53
I built a shed for my dear old Ma last winter and incorporated a nest box inside it with an entrance hole under the eaves. I made the hole really small to encourage blue **** and they were straight into it in the spring. I don’t think there’s much in the way of suitable nest sites where she lives though.
That's a really good idea to incorporate it into the shed. I'll remember that for when I build a new bike shed, hopefully later this year (I might need wood prices to come down again first though!).

Blue **** are the most likely to use a box but don't put a landing peg on the outside - it just makes it easier for predation. Orientation to the sun is important but don't ask me which direction - anyone know ?

Blue **** are the most likely to use a box but don't put a landing peg on the outside - it just makes it easier for predation. Orientation to the sun is important but don't ask me which direction - anyone know ?
Did a quick Google and this was one of the links that came up with lots of information and guidance:
https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/article/where-position-bird-nest-boxes
This bit taken from the link:
"Direction of nest box
The recommended direction to face a nest box is between north and east, as this will provide natural protection from direct sunlight, wind and rain, creating a more suitable and safe environment for growing birds. The box can also be tilted marginally forward to allow any rain to run clear of the entrance."

Latest posts

Back