Binoculars ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Binoculars ?

I have a small pair of Nikon bins and have problems focusing the eyes

One person told me you need to set the right eyepiece first by rotating until the image is sharp , then focus with the focusing wheel to bring everything into focus

Tried this and I cant achieve focus ?

SO

Purchased a new pair , not the most expensive but £50 worth

Same result

When I try and focus using my left eye only the image starts to come into focus but then hits a stop , its like it needs to go half a turn further to get proper focus

Now my eyes are quite good for my age , I have very good vision from 3 feet to infinity , but do need +1 for short distance / reading

So 2 pairs of bins and I cant use either ?

Any ideas whats UP :? :? :?

Cheers

I don't mean to be rude but when did you last have an eye test?

I am a HGV lorry driver and have a medical every 3 years , this was last done 8 months ago and the eyesight test was fine

As I said only need +1 for reading

I have a Canon camera and this comes with a diopta wheel for setting the viewfinder , no problems focusing this with either eye

What I've always read and done is you adjust with the central wheel first to get it roughly in focus, then close your left eye and adjust the right eye piece as you've been trying and then finally use the central wheel to get it all sharp. This last adjustment should be minimal.

You should then only need to adjust the central wheel to focus on new distances.

BTW, £50 is a cheap pair of binoculars.... for something like an 8 x 40 which gives you a good bright view and reasonable magnification from a good brand like Viking you're looking at more like £150-200 minimum. I know because we were looking at some at the weekend.
Nevertheless, they should still focus!
Optical quality is generally poorer on cheap ones. I had some once and didn't realise how bad they were until I tried a good pair someone else had! This was a number of years ago though so I'm sure they've improved vastly, even with the cheaper ones!

Blister":2gytvbl0 said:
Binoculars ?

I have a small pair of Nikon bins and have problems focusing the eyes

One person told me you need to set the right eyepiece first by rotating until the image is sharp , then focus with the focusing wheel to bring everything into focus

Tried this and I cant achieve focus ?

SO

Purchased a new pair , not the most expensive but £50 worth

Same result

When I try and focus using my left eye only the image starts to come into focus but then hits a stop , its like it needs to go half a turn further to get proper focus

Now my eyes are quite good for my age , I have very good vision from 3 feet to infinity , but do need +1 for short distance / reading

So 2 pairs of bins and I cant use either ?

Any ideas whats UP :? :? :?

Cheers

Since the left eyepiece is fixed, and the right can move...:

Close or cover right eye, adjust focus using central knob until left eye sees good focus.
then
Close or cover left eye, adjust focus using right hand eyepiece adjust until right eye sees good focus.

(via google)
http://birding.about.com/od/birdingsupp ... culars.htm

BugBear

I have a pair of lightweight Nikon Sportstars 10x25.
Focus as Jen said.
I tend to cover the LH one whilst fine tuning the RH one with my hand.

Rod

BTW, £50 is a cheap pair of binoculars

Hi Jen

Yes I know :lol: , these were a impulse buy when I was at Scope and Sky buying some astro bits

I looked through a pair of these some time earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _FmKN3_wXk

Amazing :shock: but at the time they had just come out as a new model and were £400

Now down to £299 :lol: so it looks like its time to raid the piggy bank

Have sent a email asking to return the others for a refund , See what happens :?

What model are you going to see ?

Little and Large

Attachments

• IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 915
BTW, £50 is a cheap pair of binoculars.... for something like an 8 x 40 which gives you a good bright view and reasonable magnification from a good brand like Viking you're looking at more like £150-200 minimum.

In general I agree with that but depends on the intended use for the binoculars.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Olympus 8 x 40 DPS 1 which are excellent for birdwatching and very clear optics I paid £50 and I was so impressed that I bought my wife the same model just 3 months ago still only £50 (from Amazon).

Yours should focus (there are videos on youtube) and the same result with 2 pairs certainly suggests the problem might be elsewhere).

Bob

We each have small Olympus compact binoculars already (8 x 21mm) and so in the end we got a 10 x 40 Viking monocular as a more powerful but compact, lightweight version. It was £150.

Now Leica... lovely but they cost an arm and a leg! :)

How very strange?? I have just bought a new pair of Opticron Verano 8 X 43 'HD' BGA.PC Binoculars and eagerly await their delivery from Sherwoods Optics.

Something that I learned when I was searching is that there are 2 different focusing methods and one is the one mentioned here where the right eyepiece is adjustable and the both are focused by the central wheel, but there is also some that have both eye pieces adjustable and are used mainly for fixed distance viewing and no central wheel. Could it be that yours are the latter type?

HGV driver :| Eyesight :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I didn't say anything :twisted: :twisted:

Back