Binge Drinking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the change in licensing laws. I think that there will be an initial increase in consumption - maybe 6 months or so but I think it'll calm down again.

What is extraordinary to me is the citing of the 'continental' drinking culture. What does that mean? You will be pushed to find a bar open after 11.30 pm in Paris; the Germans enjoy week long beer drinking festivals (where moderation is not in evidence) and the Spanish have a lie down in the afternoon! Huge generalisations and cliches I know, but there is truth in there as well.

Our culture is much more akin to that of the northern european and scandinavian folk - a drinks party in Norway has to be seen to be believed.

Two things keep being overlooked or not stated/ acted on enough: Firstly, closing times were enforced to stop workers drinking themselves into a stupor at lunchtime (binge drinking was enjoyed by our grandparents!) and secondly, it is still illegal to sell alcohol to anyone intoxicated. This particularly seem to get ignored as too difficult to manage. Well then you aren't capable of having a license.

What do others think?

Cheers

Tim

Reading the local press in Westminster suggests that the local council rode roughshod over quite considerable local complaints.

Ever been to Hereford or any other city or town centre late at night? Not a nice place to be. As you say - it's illegal to serve alcohol to anyone that's drunk...but no-one polices this and it affects the bottom line of the breweries.

Let's face it...it was Tony's 'pie in the sky' idea that this would reverse our decline into barbarity since all his other pet policies have failed. Having just returned from a few days in Milan, I was quietly impressed how civilised the Milanese were. And not a 'hoody' or trainer or scruffy pair of jeans in sight. Nor thumping music from car stereos. And hardly any car horns sounded in anger (or at all, come to think of it)...nor police sirens ...bliss.

OK - there's a few more generalisations :lol: :lol:

Hi Roger

The Mafia certainly knows how to keep order :wink: :) .

Gill (who wears jeans and trainers)

Gill":1qoqxt77 said:
Gill (who wears jeans and trainers)
You 'orrible scruff. The rest of us only ever come onto the forum in evening dress. [-X :lol:

I suppose at least drinkers will drink themselves to a standstill at different times, so staggering (ho-ho) the number of drunks puking in the gutter at any one time... :-k

Cheers, Alf

Your points are well made. Having worked in the drinks industry for over a decade I have seen more than my fair share of late night drinking! The fact remains that the licensee is responsible. Police this and the problem can be reduced.

Also worth bearing in mind that the bottom line of the breweries has nothing to do with it anymore. It is the retailers/ pub chains who drive the market. By law (since 91) breweries are restricted to the number of pubs they can own and the largest retailing groups are usually owned by companies with no brewing interest what so ever.

Not sure Hereford town centre is that nice in the middle of the day!

Cheers

Tim

Roger Sinden":2b9m0hup said:
Having just returned from a few days in Milan, I was quietly impressed how civilised the Milanese were. And not a 'hoody' or trainer or scruffy pair of jeans in sight. Nor thumping music from car stereos. And hardly any car horns sounded in anger (or at all, come to think of it)...nor police sirens ...bliss.

OK - there's a few more generalisations :lol: :lol:

By coincidence I was reading this story this morning and thinking "how uncivilised".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/t ... 446342.stm

Latest posts

Back