big workshop, green ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckyold7

Reaction score
I'm looking for good suggestions to make a workshop 'greener'. It will be 4000 sq ft, and used for exhibition stand build and conference/scenery work....bring it on brainiacs

Dulux? ;)

How about the obvious addition of a wood burning stove? There's an outlay of course, but it's renewable energy and very cost effective in terms of heating your space through the cooler months.

houtslager":2qyl0s0w said:
or copy me - timber frame with straw bale infill and lime render on the outside, internally boarded out with osb and plaster board.

K
+1
Saw a program where the workshop was built from straw bails and thought it was a very good idea, will retain a lot of heat too.

Stew

luckyold7":387iuuc8 said:
nice ideas people. Thanks. Any suggestions for recycling timber off cuts other than burning it?
Just keep making stuff. Smaller and smaller. No joke - that's what they used to do; big boxes, little boxes, turnery, pegs and knobs, tool handles, toys etc. Never buy a bit of hardware if you can make your own from some scraps.

cambournepete":3squy210 said:
There's a classic Grand Designs where the house in the middle of the woods is built of straw bales.

Ben Law!

houtslager do you have any pics of yours on the forum?

Chems queried
houtslager do you have any pics of yours on the forum?

78.deltaventmembranegoingon.jpg

extension being built - timber frame - infille with SB's

109.jpg

FIRST BALES GOING IN :)

newworkshop-liningout3.jpg

Inside view of the extension, bales in view prior to being boarded up with 18mm OSB. This does two things -
seals moisture out from getting into the bales, and allows me to fix cupboards onto the wall with out fear of
them falling off later when fully loaded :twisted:
So, back to the start of the new shop - first clear the ground, and make level

DSC00306.jpg

Start laying out old used tyres, and back filling them with the scrapings mixed with a little cement dust.
then brought up to height with some concrete "disks"

DSC00314.jpg

Lay out on top of the disks the floor joists - here 8 x 17,5cm x 6M or and the posts are 12 x 12 x 5M

DSC00411.jpg

Add a few more joists and posts, then one can put on the roof / ceiling joists.

DSC00422.jpg

Put a couple tarps on it, and some temporary roofing membrane and you get this

DSC00423.jpg

Ordering some roof sandwich panels to go on the roof, and the farmer is hoping to get 200-300 straw bales to me this harvest BUT AT € 5.00 EACH :shock: :shock: :?

Well that's all for now folks,

Karl

That's smashing, Karl. TVM.
Given that the bales are much thicker than the posts, how do you fix the OSB in place? You can't just screw it to the bales, can you?

Yes and no. :twisted:

The bales are on a 4 - 6"plinth and are "topped off " with something known as a top plate. The plinth protects the bales from any water damage due to household leaks ; washing machine or burst piping.

So, one can screw into these plates directly, or make a 2 x 3 stud wall frame onto these plates and then fix ones OSB or PB onto that.

OR, you can whack wooden wedges into the bales at the right locations, and fix the OSB onto these. I have heard this method works ok, though I have not tried it.

hth,

Karl

Latest posts

Back