Big wheel keeps on turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Scored a large slab of Olive, cheap due to inclusions (which i'll be filling with Copper), my biggest turning effort yet..... 50cm diameter.... fruit bowl/Platter... takes ages to stop turning due to the weight LOL, watch this space.....
photo_2021-06-01 08.10.19.jpeg

Brave, lots of inertia to stop if goes awry. Lovely looking chunk of wood. Best of luck, stay safe with it and post more pictures during its progress if you can.

Wood turning is not really my thing but I would have thought there were ideal speeds for turning different woods, as there are for different metals. At 250 rpm your wood is passing the tool at over 1250 feet per minute at the outer edge, that's rather fast! I'm surprised it doesn't vibrate like nobody's business, must be seriously out of balance.

Wood turning is not really my thing but I would have thought there were ideal speeds for turning different woods, as there are for different metals. At 250 rpm your wood is passing the tool at over 1250 feet per minute at the outer edge, that's rather fast! I'm surprised it doesn't vibrate like nobody's business, must be seriously out of balance.
I trimmed it up pretty well with my chainsaw and the lathe itself is really heavy, there really isn't that much in the way of vibration, in fact it's a rather enjoyable ride

The type of wood being turned, IMHO, does not matter. Its a case of where the weight is distributed within the piece, that will give you the vibration and wobble. I got given a huge Black Pine (felled because of Red Band Needle blight) recently and have spent the last couple of weeks cutting it into large truckles 14 - 20" in diameter and 4" deep. In the meantime I had my Axminster lathe headstock converted by Haydock Conversions to enable slow turning, which I collected the other day. I'm aiming to make a range of large platters and bowls.

Weight is the main trick for larger items, if the lathe itself is not heavy enough a couple of bags of sand/cement/whatever can absorb most of the vibration.

Update: The large chuck jaws and new gouge i ordered have been held up, i say hijacked by Spanish customs (also my medicine) due to brexit for weeks now so this project has been shelved 🤬

Back