Big V chisel.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewf

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this in one of some tool boxes I inherited from my grand father. As can be seen its all metal, and the angle is approximately 60 degrees on the cutting edge. Have no idea what it is used for, my grandfather was a shipwright but have never seen it used in boat building.

20140911_152713.jpg
[/url][/img]

20140911_152700.jpg
[/url][/img]

It is stamped with I H Sorby.

Any suggestions for use or who would use it.

i would guess at a stone carving chisel. It is certainly designed to be hit pretty hard.

I think it's a wheelwright's bruzz. According to Salaman's 'Dictionary of Woodworking Tools', most were of socketed construction, but some were 'all-iron'. They had angles between the cutting edges of between 50 and 90 degrees, and were used to clean out the corners of large mortices, after removing most of the waste by boring. Some wheel hubs had dovetail-shaped mortices, for which a 90 degree tool would obviously not answer. They were also used by heavy carpenters and millwrights for cleaning out large mortices, so use by a shipwright is not completely out of the question.

Edit to add - here's another one - http://www.bobstoolbox.com/bruzz-bruzzle-p-194.html

The cutting edge seems to be too fine and at too shallow angle for stone cutting, also it has a single bevel. While most pictures of masons chisels i have seen have 2 bevels.
Also with it being sharpened in channel so to speak can't see it being much good for carving letters etc.

Will have to sharpen it and try it out.

Back