Big questions, stretching the imagination and no answers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Newtonian physics, and Einsteins theories and quantum physics, there is a minority but growing band of scientists that are of the mind that these laws and theorems may only hold true for our galaxy,.
When you think about it that may not be that suprising as we really can only research our own area, who knows what happens in other galaxies many light years away.

That change of state may be to a form we as humans can not utilise
That is what I mean, the energy is always there just in different forms so we need to find a system that upon first using the energy can then change this energy form back into it's original form for re-use but something we don't yet understand is preventing this.

"Time? Is that not just a human invented measurement construct. " I think the units of time are a human unit but based upon natural phenomenon, ie movement of the moon and planets, the decay of a radioactive isotope or the resonant frequency of a crystaline substance.

Who has noticed a major flaw in so many sci fi films and series, we seem to assume that the universe has learned and copied from us in so many ways.

Think about how many types of tools we have for the very wide range of fasteners and fixings out there, hex heads, torx, pozi etc etc and not to mention metric v imperial yet in sci fi they come across alien technology which must use the same range as us because our tools can be used, how odd! and then they are also using our technology because we know all about it and how to fix it.

I think these film and program makers need to be more realistic, something more like " never seen a fixing like that before, we will need to make some tools" and as for just being able to operate all alien technology they come across is also ridiculous, what if that species has four arms and eyes in the back of it's head, it could take ambidextrous to all new levels.

Who has noticed a major flaw in so many sci fi films and series, we seem to assume that the universe has learned and copied from us in so many ways.

Think about how many types of tools we have for the very wide range of fasteners and fixings out there, hex heads, torx, pozi etc etc and not to mention metric v imperial yet in sci fi they come across alien technology which must use the same range as us because our tools can be used, how odd! and then they are also using our technology because we know all about it and how to fix it.

I think these film and program makers need to be more realistic, something more like " never seen a fixing like that before, we will need to make some tools" and as for just being able to operate all alien technology they come across is also ridiculous, what if that species has four arms and eyes in the back of it's head, it could take ambidextrous to all new levels.

LOL

If the film was realistic somebody would try to bodge it first and ruin it, a bit like using a badly set adjustable spanner to round a bolt head that holds the key to the universe.

I've thought about all this very deeply and come to only one conclusion - we are a dot on a mobius strip.

We can travel an infinite distance and never come to the edge of space. A little like the original circumnavigators who were surprised that they never fell off the edge of the earth.

I've seen some doozies on this forum over the years, but this thread is about as far out as I've seen. :)

Has anyone considered that the world the galaxy, the universe whatever only really exists inside out heads.

We receive information through our five senses.

If our eyes had different filters we would be in a totally different world. Ditto with our other senses

Wow! Yes everything has a frequency and everything is made from atoms and what we see with our eyes is not what is actually there because our brains interpretation of what we are looking at is just that an interpretation.

Where was the big bang? Easy, it's right in the center of the universe where everything is moving away from and dare I add that it's still accelerating.

Love this topic, you guys are so cool. :alien:(y)

What an interesting subject.
Hi all I'm Dave and this is my first post

Hi dave, where do you live? If its under the antarctic, welcome to our planet! 🤣😂

They probably watch us and think ' what a bunch of halfwits'
In fact, earth could be a big version of the truman show, with the rest of the universe tuning in each day to watch us and have a laugh at how dumb humans can be 😁

Dark matter..

But..... What is dark matter?

Im not up on space, but yes i understand it is constantly spreading and speeding up. We are like ants, scurrying around for no real reason. In fact its all pointless, I'd better go get another beer 😁

It's unobservable energy or matter in the universe that's inferred because the observable bits don't work the way we expect. As in, if you had a lit metal object that changed direction and a magnet that was unseen, you'd learn of the magnet by the way the lit object behaves.

Hi dave, where do you live? If its under the antarctic, welcome to our planet! 🤣😂

They probably watch us and think ' what a bunch of halfwits'
In fact, earth could be a big version of the truman show, with the rest of the universe tuning in each day to watch us and have a laugh at how dumb humans can be 😁
How many of you know this?
It's going to spoil it now because we won't know if you're faking it like Truman did. Darn it and I just got here. :rolleyes:

Dark matter is believed to be a form of matter thought to account for approximately 85% of the matter in the universe and about 27% of its total mass–energy density or about 2.241×10−27 kg/m3. Its presence is implied in a variety of astrophysical observations, including gravitational effects that cannot be explained by accepted theories of gravity unless more matter is present than can be seen. For this reason, most experts think that dark matter is abundant in the universe and that it has had a strong influence on its structure and evolution. Dark matter is called dark because it does not appear to interact with the electromagnetic field, which means it does not absorb, reflect or emit electromagnetic radiation, and is therefore difficult to detect.
Wikipedia
So.... we understand the universe so well that only 85% of it is unexplained. Hmmmm
OK what about energy?
In physical cosmology and astronomy, dark energy is an unknown form of energy that affects the universe on the largest scales. .... Assuming that the lambda-CDM model of cosmology is correct, the best current measurements indicate that dark energy contributes 69% of the total energy in the present-day observable universe
Wikpedia.
Well that is more reassuring - only 69% of energy is unexplained. Anyone get the feeling that we don't really know and don't want to admit it?

I wouldn't overreact to it. The reality is that not everything will be observable - there's a limit to how far we can see, and if what we can't is influencing something we can see, then how do we explain it?

Ultimately, the folks who pose a potential explanation to something that we can't just check off on the list are the ones who lead us toward confirming those ideas. If there's a bulk of energy or matter likely that we can't see or observe at this point, then we'll either figure out how to observe or confirm it or we will figure out a better explanation.

Got it, dark matter is one of those items that we know we dont know, unlike the bits we know we know and the bits we dont know we dont know.
Its all so complicated when you know that those who know, know that what we know is only the bits they want us to know, and make us believe they know, when really we know they don't know, but they believe that they know what the don't know.

So who knows, not me, but do you know the earths not flat, or do we just think we know.

Note to self, have one more beer, that makes 42, now that's another universe all together. Ha ha

It's unobservable energy or matter in the universe that's inferred because the observable bits don't work the way we expect. As in, if you had a lit metal object that changed direction and a magnet that was unseen, you'd learn of the magnet by the way the lit object behaves.
Or it's just a convenient way for scientists to explain why their sums don't work, rather than considering that some of their fundamental principles may actually be wrong.

I fear than much of this is probably completely irrelevant. It's a sobering thought that dinosaurs were the dominant life form for over 100 million years. We have only really got out act together in the last 3000 or so, and yet we are well on the way to destroying ourselves. The way things are going I would be quite surprised if we are still here in another 1000 years, or even a few hundred. The whole of human history may well end up being a footnote in the history of the planet, nasty parasitic creatures that evolved, wrecked the joint and made themselves, and countless other species extinct, all in the blink of an eye in the timescale of the planet's history.

What Fergie 307 said.

Who knows? Maybe it will be the turn of the apes? ( Yes, I know we are sort of one of the more stupid kinds of ape!) Pierre Boulle might have been prophetic.

I find science fascinating, but find many scientists very frustrating, or even arrogant. They generally seem to have such great confidence that what they believe is correct, when if history tells us anything it is that they are almost certainly wrong. You only have to go back a few hundred years to find the most eminent scientists assuring you very solemnly that the sun revolved around the earth. I am quite sure that if we are still here in a few hundred years time, the scientists of the day will view some of our present 'knowledge ' as being equally flawed. Unfortunately as Hegel said " the only thing we learn from history is that no one ever learns anything from history".

Back