BIG logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
If your band saw cant cope with bigger bits of "tree" that you manage to scrounge then what is the best way to cut it up? Hand sawing is a real pain in the bicep! I just wondered if anyone had found a better "miracle" solution?

No miracles, just reduce to size with a chain saw (if you're suitably trained and qualified)

chainsaw is the only way to go - but never use one without ALL the safety gear - i know 2 woodturners lacking parts of their feet and skull due to chainsaw -
if you take the logs to a local tree surgeon or woodturner he will probably cut them to your requirements for small fee - certainly worth doing if its only the odd log or two...

good luck

you can get yourself an electric chainsaw for about £60 - £70 or even less if you buy second hand.
£60 is a small price to pay when compared to the rest of your wood turning tools. ect

Add to that a couple of hundread pounds for chainsaw trowsers, gloves, helmet with mesh visor & ear defenders, Decent pair of gloves and boots.

The saw is the least expensive bit.

I would agree that an electric one would be the best for this type of use as you will not wake the neighbours up on a sunday morning. I use a 16" Ryobi for roughing out most my large greenwood blanks.

Jason

OK, so the above suggests that a chain saw is the only way to go.....

I have done a bit with a bow saw (have no bandsaw), but is splitting the logs beyond the realms of possibility, bearing in mind that the lumps of wood are probably rather bigger than wee bits of firewood?

Cheers,

Dod

I use steel wedges, I think Axminster have ones and you can get sthil ones but they are dearer. I have split up to about 24"dia. it is surprising what can be done. Make up some hard wood wedges to release the steel wedge and keep the steel wedge moveing down the split. It is a bit rough and you might need an axe to cut some of the fibres but I think it is safer than trying to rip with the chain saw. Hope this is clear if not just ask and I will try and describe it better.
Michael

I use old cold chisels and a lump hammer. A smaller diameter one of about 24" is great to start it off and then a couple of shorter thicker ones to widen it. I do keep meaning to try making some hardwood wedges to hel the process but haven't got around to it yet.
I've split logs about 30" inches or so in length and 12" or more in diameter.
I have wondered if a froe and maul would be worth having or are these only for small diameter stuff?

skjerstad & mudman,

Thanks for the responses, this is sounding a lot safer and less expensive than a chainsaw masacre adventure :D

Cheers,

Dod

Back