big lathes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skjerstad

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you chaps have had a chance to see or even use a VB36 or a Oneway 2436.
I have the literature on both and there is not much in the price.
My main concern is the tail stock arrangement on the VB such as the alinement and the fact it seems a bit of an add on and the toolrest support, seems a bit ungainly.
I want this to be a one time only purchase but I think both are good machines so it will come down to the small things.
I live in the wild and wooly North isles so actually going to see them is a bit of a problem.
Any thoughts or views would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

well Mike you dont go for the run of the mill lathe fella/ these two are real heavy duty jobs,what are you planning on turning,planets? ive only just come across your post its now march 07 , i hope you got sorted, let us know either way,im interested to see ,looks an heavy pair of pippers, all the best . :whistle:

A VB36 was a lathe I considered I know 3 people who have them and love them but its the strength and access to the workshop that stopped me getting one I would need a hoist to lift stuff on to the lathe and I haven't go a smooth concrete floor for an engine hoist or beams strong enough to take a block and tackle on rails. Never considered the oneway and don't know much about them.

Well guys I thought the 'puter was playing up when I saw the post on top.
I went for the VB.Size was an issue for me so I went for the short bed.Had it almost 3 years now.It took a short while to get used to the toolrest beam and I would say the Bennison adaptor for the toolrest is a must but other than that I have had no problems.It takes a squeeze of grease now and again but I have never needed to top up the oilers.
I did also add the foot switch and the 3hp motor,I did say a one time only buy.Done really small work on it but no capacity work yet but will get there if the nerves hold out.If any one has any questions about the VB just ask and I will try and help
cheers
Michael

Latest posts

Back