Big key

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter-harrison

Established Member
Reaction score
big key.jpg
Here's a big key I have just made from alder. It's going to be cast in steel.

Attachments

• big key.jpg
    big key.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 511
peter-harrison":2e0hr45a said:
Here's a big key I have just made from alder. It's going to be cast in steel.

We would love to see it, too. (Hint: need a photo - I'm sure the link is just moments away)

Wow! Worth the wait.

Am I allowed to ask how you made it, and is there a matching lock to go with it? And then the casting...?

Edit: I had assumed it was a single solid piece, but that's not the case, is it? Still very smart indeed.

Hi, it's three pieces- the bow, the barrel and the wards. Just stuck together with super glue. The barrel is just done on the lathe, and the bow and wards are jigsaw/bandsaw/linisher/spokeshave/chisels/rasps. The best tip I can offer from the process is that when making the bow, it's best to completely finish the inside before even rough cutting the outside. That way you get a lot better workholding for half the job.
It is to be cast in bronze in a foundry at Haverhill, Suffolk. No plan for a lock ATM, but if one materialises I'll put it on here too. The client picked it up this morning and was over the moon!

Back