Big birds =======

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Thought this was a rare sighting.
8th December
Cheers Andy
IMG_20201208_140726.jpg

I had a French Rafale over my house the other day - makes a change from the endless F16s flying in circles week in week out.

There comes a point where you stop looking up, and just wish the noise would stop.

Judging by the chemtrails it's four single-engined aircraft so military is the obvious answer, or one very large four-engined and seemingly invisible aircraft. Also unlikely to be civilian if flying that close together.

I live not too far from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. We see a lot of their vintage aircraft flying overhead. And they stay very low (< 1000m usually) as they have to stay under the restricted airspace of the international airport north of us. No jets, but the Lancaster bomber makes a heckuva lot of noise flying overhead. You can hear it coming in time to get out a camera.

I live not too far from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. We see a lot of their vintage aircraft flying overhead. And they stay very low (< 1000m usually) as they have to stay under the restricted airspace of the international airport north of us. No jets, but the Lancaster bomber makes a heckuva lot of noise flying overhead. You can hear it coming in time to get out a camera.
Like you I live near a Memorial flight and we get the Spitfires hurricanes and Lancaster coming over us fairly regularly as you say the noise is something else, my ex mother-in-law told me once about the noise in the war when a big big raid was going on and maybe 100 Lancaster‘s were going overhead, it must’ve been awe-inspiring.
In the other direction we have the bombing range at Donna Nook and we fairly regularly get American Ospreys flying over, they are slow and give off an enormous amount of noise as they have huge propellers and the engines can turn so that they can take off and descend like a helicopter. Ian

Scramptons got 19 aircraft on the ground at the moment, unfortunately I don't have the right permissions (or the desire to pay for it) to see what those are, or what flew out today.
coningsby and waddington have a simliar number but show 2 on the ground today each. nothing local shows 4 arrivals today.
brize norton show 3 landing around the same time (14;46 to 15.24) so possible they where flying in to there and 1 coming in around 12:00.

if you see something flying and want to know what it is you can pick up current flight routing data here:
https://www.flightradar24.com/UKP155/268b5f9d
it's great as it shows the waypoints, right now there is a vulcan air p68 doing rings around Grimsby having flown out of Doncaster. it's a police plane. :)

Scramptons got 19 aircraft on the ground at the moment, unfortunately I don't have the right permissions (or the desire to pay for it) to see what those are, or what flew out today.
coningsby and waddington have a simliar number but show 2 on the ground today each. nothing local shows 4 arrivals today.
brize norton show 3 landing around the same time (14;46 to 15.24) so possible they where flying in to there and 1 coming in around 12:00.

if you see something flying and want to know what it is you can pick up current flight routing data here:
it's great as it shows the waypoints, right now there is a vulcan air p68 doing rings around Grimsby having flown out of Doncaster. it's a police plane. :)

Forgot about the flight tracker data.
I should confirm this wasn't today.
It was 8th December 2020 @ 14.07
Heading East-ish over Leicestershire
Cheers Andy

Last edited:

The police used to use them in Southampton rather than helicopters.
Perhaps because they were useful for short range maritime reconnaissance???

Cheers James

Forgot about the flight tracker data.
I should confirm this wasn't today.
It was 8th December 2020 @ 14.07
Heading East-ish over Leicestershire
Cheers Andy
It was a fly past commemorating your 13 years since you joined UKW ;)

4 of the red arrows on the way to/back from winterhawk training at akrotiri?

Latest posts

Back