Big accurate squares?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to buy a big accurate square for marking out, setting up my plunge saw and guiding my router. I made one a while ago out of plywood but it went mouldy with the damp over Christmas so I would prefer metal or plastic.

I've seen the Trend Router T-Square in my local tool shop for about £45 - any thoughts on it? Or is there something else I should look at?

Cheers,
Mark

Axminster list an Aluminium Rafter Square (600mm x 400mm) for about £23. I've no idea if good, bad or indifferent, though.

Karl":1iydv561 said:
Blister":1iydv561 said:

He said accurate #-o

My experience of those things is that they are very far from accurate - one of them was out by 1/4" over 18".
I used to have one of those framing squares but it was way out as well.

I was considering the Trend I linked to above as it will be used as a guide for sawing and routing, as well as for general marking out, so it must be rather substantial, reasonably long and and also have a fence.

ProShop":1iydv561 said:
AndyT":1iydv561 said:

Another vote for the late Niiki.

I would prefer to buy one, as opposed to making one, as I don't have any plywood or MDF spare after my entire hoard of offcuts had to be binned after Christmas :cry:

Mark

Mark,

If you really want a big T square look for a drylining square. The blade is designed to draw across the width of a plasterboard (usually claimed to be 47 and seven eigths inches long) so is also great for marking up any other 8x4' sheet material. Mine came from Bell Tools in Gloucester and is accurate against my roofing square (the biggest square I have). A friend of mine brought his back from America as he hadn't seen them in this country. They don't seem to be very common in the shops so you may have to hunt around. I'd also looked at the Trend T square but decided it wasn't big enough for what I wanted. (I slice up lots of sheet ply.)

Tony Comber

Hi Tony

I considered getting a plasterboard square (B&Q have one) but I don't think they're sturdy enough for guiding my router.
I think Trend sell two squares - one around 600mm and the other 1000, so I'll go for the big one.

Cheers,
Mark

A while ago I bought a large wooden Stanley architect's t-square about 3- 4 ft long - I was lucky in that i was the only bidder and got it for only £1 and as it was local the seller delivered it. It is very useful for marking out large panels.

Misterfish

Back