Bicycles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
001giant.jpg

Giant Hybrid here, owned it about 10 years, rides so easily. German puncture proof tyres are great
Mostly canal towpath riding

Used to cycle years ago, wouldn't dare now I might not want to come home.

Best ever was a year in New Zealand after that British roads just aren't the same.

This is a clock ive been accumulating over a number of year, but ive yet to finish it, been put on hold as I just cant settle on what it should exactly look like.
It's made of Hopes first hydraulic caliper, the famed C2(Closed 2) and consisting of caliper numbers 1 through 12.
In the pic it has a rear half in the No12 space, but i've since acquired that one to complete the set, at a cost of 80 quid for the complete brake, which is obviously split down. Bit of an outlay, but No12 calipers are rare as hens teeth, so im not to bothered, and it completes the set so I've just had to come to terms and thats that.

What is unusual about this is in reality there is no No10 caliper in the C2 line up. The one i have(I've 2) came from the engineers stash and is the only ones in existence, so nobody can recreate this clock or collection. The No10 was for a system for a single speed Ti-Glide disc, and I've also got that hub, which is also the only single speed Hope ti glide disc ever made. It was made for retail sale as a prototype, but then decided not to release to the public.

I will eventually get this damned clock finished, hopefully before I die :LOL:
DSCF2812.JPG

put together a road bike in the late 70s from (literally) scrap heap bits (753 frame by ?Sun of Worksop) - finished up had the bits for 2 similar - bit like a short/flat amateur time trial bike of the 60s (5 gear, drops, Campy, side pulls, brooks) - literally cost me less than £5 for the 2 - gave one to a bro-in-law (still has in shed somewhere) -- mine had a tune up recently and now I'm choosing flat routes to ride with my grandson - it's still a sweet machine,

I have a gravel bike, carbon road bike, mountain bike and a hybrid.

Wouldn't be without any of them but unless you really value eating up the miles and speed with a road bike some of these modern style gravel bikes with fat tyres and road capability really ticks a lot of boxes - I would say though if buying new aim to spend at least £1k or more.

Lots of choice of used road bikes out there though

I have seen over the years that it is not only woodworkers that get caught up with the sales pitches and end up spending a fortune on what is or could essentially be classed as a simple requirement. The bicycle, a frame with two wheels and a saddle yet the get rich brigade have managed to turn the industry into an overpriced rip off. It seems these days rather than put the effort into personel fitness and technique they are looking at technology for a solution. Both my parents in the fifties were in cycle clubs and did a lot of miles on very basic bikes where they used a fixed wheel with no gears and both have done Lands end to John O'groats several times and on nothing fancy, one was a handbuilt Rory O Brien and the other a Dawes and both made in Britain.

Another question as E bikes are getting popular, how long before thet get classed as motor vehicles and need tax and insurance?

Kinesis Racelight 4s - and did Lands End - John o Groats on it last year - age 73 (that’s me not the bike).

Holdsworth pro made for me in 1978, when I was younger and really into it, full Campag SR. Also have a 1976 Carlton Criterion, with all its original Golden Arrow groupset. Holdsworth has the good old Brooks big rivet pro saddle. When I started again a few years ago it was a bit of a shock to realise that the riding position I liked as an eighteen year old was excruciatingly uncomfortable at 50 plus, as was the saddle! Bought a Dawes tandem during lockdown. I thought it would be fun for me and the missus, not sure I have convinced her yet. Have to see what happens this summer.

When I started again a few years ago it was a bit of a shock to realise that the riding position I liked as an eighteen year old was excruciatingly uncomfortable at 50 plus, as was the saddle!
You’re telling me! And my level of performance was a shadow of what it had been - not that it was ever much cop at 18.
But the clothing has moved on - no more woolly shirts with chamois leather backside protection. Flab hugging Lycra now.

I was in the UK at various times in 2019 without a car so I decided to dig out my old bike (a Claude Butler 10-speed I bought new in the mid 80s) to get around on. It had been sat in a relative's shed since I last used it in 2004, so I had had 15 years without sitting on a bike. I was never very fast but I at least I used to be able to ride all day so it was a bit of a shock to make a big deal of a trip to the shops. Apparently I am not as young as I used to be. How did that happen?

50 miles for me today up in the dales aboard my summer bike a focus izalco pro carbon bike with self built wheels.

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG-20210410-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20210410-WA0003.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 14
Many bikes over the years, from custom Whitcomb builds to standard 531 Claud Butler or Holdsworth's, cheap no-name chainsets via several Campag to my current Shimano Di2 on a custom Trek-based 63cm carbon frame made to measure by CycleFit...

There's no end to the madness, except I now have a stuffed knee (age and rugby/judo related) and need surgery...

Did a measly 16km today before it got too painful - normally on a Saturday that would be 50+ on a club ride. Lots of hills here too...

Had the MRI on Tuesday and results on Friday... Just not the results I was hoping for...

Last edited:
You’re telling me! And my level of performance was a shadow of what it had been - not that it was ever much cop at 18.
But the clothing has moved on - no more woolly shirts with chamois leather backside protection. Flab hugging Lycra now.
I have ended up buying an old Raleigh winner for £30 and a turbo trainer. This combo is now getting some use as I try and build up a bit of fitness so as not to embarrass myself too much when I go out on the road. Used to do a 25 in under an hour, now I suspect I would need an ambulance after 10 at half the speed ! You're right about the clothing though. Who invented shorts with the gel bum pad, I want to kiss them. Still experimenting to find a saddle more suited to my much older, and clearly less resilient, backside.

I had a Kona Lavadome about 20 years back, loved it off road til I did a half somersault and landed on my back having hit a tree stump, and realised i was getting to old for this. Then I had a son and a few years later, we were back on the tracks, the Kona had been stolen so I went for a Specialized hybrid which I still have. It's great considering it's not expensive, certainly more capable than I am now. I managed a fairly severe red run at Afan Valley a few years back with the original hybrid tyres on a really steep, rocky run, tho I didn't feel too relaxed doing that one. Changed the tyres after.
I cycle most days for about 30 mins in an effort to keep the doc away, and avoid the roads as much as possible, mostly by sticking to pavements. Roads look way too dangerous to me on a bike these days.

I have ended up buying an old Raleigh winner for £30 and a turbo trainer. This combo is now getting some use as I try and build up a bit of fitness so as not to embarrass myself too much when I go out on the road. Used to do a 25 in under an hour, now I suspect I would need an ambulance after 10 at half the speed ! You're right about the clothing though. Who invented shorts with the gel bum pad, I want to kiss them. Still experimenting to find a saddle more suited to my much older, and clearly less resilient, backside.
Hi have you tried a rolls or turbo saddle. Those are my go to saddles for comfort.

I also have a spa leather saddle like a Brookes which is good for long days.

Cheers James

Latest posts

Back