Better Price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo-Star

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

I was looking through ad's on facebay the other day, and seen an AGS 12 for sale £500 and on a whim I messaged the guy and said I'd take it for the five if he'd deliver. The guy near bit my hand off, It came from a hospital in Glasgow apparently and the two lads that delivered the saw told me Its the second one they have sold this week. I proceeded to tell them about the drill that I tried to buy a few weeks ago, and asked if It was them. Nah wasn't us mate, someone's at it, as our boss has the contract for all the hospitals. the guys told there boss who messaged me enquiring about It, told him the story and got talking, so now he is look out for another couple of machines I'm after. So if you look at a 100 quid for delivery, I've got the 12 for 4 big notes. Here's some pic's

I don't have a drive, so the machine was unloaded onto the street for me to donkey to the WS though had to be dismantled for this to happen as I have #2 steps on entry to footpath.

the wiring, so no trip to Glasgow,,,,/trunnion and support casting mount, motor and base unit/dust extraction OH & internals, R&S worm drive, mitre fence
IMG_0771.JPGIMG_0813.JPGIMG_0824.JPG

rip fence, R&F wheel and F plate,,,,/damage to rip and mitre Fence knob,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/Trunnion was full of saw dust, slide bracket guide retainer

IMG_0828.JPGIMG_0825.JPGIMG_0780.JPG

I'm in no great rush to get this refurb project completed, I enjoyed doing the 10 so I'll just take my time with this one. I notice that It's substantially biger than the 10 In fact you can drop the 10 inside It's body without touching the sides, the tables 140mm longer and thicker/heavier.

A little more pitting than the 10 with three being the radius off a match head.

IMG_0785.JPG

The rise and fall was seized on test at roadside, the tilting cant worked well enough. I can now understand why some of you folks have damaged pinion racks, as previous owners off these saws don't service, clean out and look after them, as once that I had cleaned out the trunnion that took well over an hour, digging/chapping out with screwdriver and brush to get this "solid sawdust" out, It's no wonder those teeth get chewed up. once the trunnion was cleaned out and slide bracket guide retainer was removed, the rise and fall worked splendidly I did notice '6 damaged parts on dismantle, nothing serious that cant be worked around, or impede the saw working properly once put back together.

I will photo individual parts as i work on them and give updates over time

Rob

Good price, cant go wrong there.
I don't have a drive, so the machine was unloaded onto the street for me to donkey
279kg net weight ;) but you know that lol.
Some damage to that fence, wtf are they doing with it ?.

Hhttps://www.daltonswadkin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Wadkin-AGS-12-inch-Sawbench-Manual-Parts-List.pdfelpful ?

Last edited:
Evening all

I had to change the plan regarding the time scaled on restoration off this AGS 12" Just for the fact that Its lying in bits around the WS floor.

So I started cleaning up the parts, and picking up on any damage that went unnoticed during dismantle. I must say that the AGS 10 I restored was by far in better condition IE "the castings main body and all trunion components" than this 12" the mould likely being a monday morning job. Some pic's prior to cleaning.

Trunnion components,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/ Motor housing chute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/Lower body
IMG_0983.JPG IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1054.JPG

The fence,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/The damage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/Upper R corner broken casting
IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1024.JPG

The broken cast on the fence retaining arm, went unnoticed, prior to cleaning, as this was to the underside off the component, and It was more the fence that caught the eye, as If that wasn't bad enough. Most likely the fence has been dropped, and took the dunt In that corner.

Q/ There a chap in Kirkcauldy who does "forged cast art work" would/could this piece repair, as in drill and tap 2 x pins then recast the missing part as a joint "would this be possible"

I was also thinking that the damaged area off the fence could be prepped and filled with epoxy, then sanded back with care ?

Main body casting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/Inner dust chute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/and stripped down
IMG_1060.JPG IMG_0990.JPG IMG_0997.JPG

I ordered 50mm angle for the dolly for this one, as opposed to the 45mm I used for the 10 I also stepped up on the wheel loadings 250kg static/125kg dynamic and these arrived today.

IMG_1369.JPG

Notice the little ratchet lever on these, I'm sure these will be far more convenient to opperate than the lesser ones that I got for the 10" and at just shy off 70 quid a pop including vat and post.

Rob

Evening all

Up date, I've been getting on with the paint stripping and cleaning.

Before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/and after,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/and getting some primer on the bigger peices
IMG_1089 (1).JPG IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1175.JPG

A friend blast and painted some parts off the 10" for me and would not take payment for the work, he told me to bring these up also, though decided just to get on with It, dry cleaning using the magic scraper and wire brush, this turned out really well, though the internals off the casting parts took a little more effort.

More cleaning of thhe smaller parts, before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/after,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/and the broken fence guide, on the lower left
IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1120 (2).JPG IMG_1123.JPG

Here are some prepped and masked pieces ready for the primer, I also made a start on cleaning the nuts, bolts and wot nots, and for some reason their seem to be a lot less off them, as my right hand still carries the scars from cleaning these from the 10" refurb.

Trunnion and some saller parts,,,,,,/the sliding arm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/and some off the nuts bolt etc
IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1058 (1).JPG IMG_1194.JPG

And now getting finish on some off the casting parts

IMG_1166.JPG

Making progress now, and hope the angle arrives soon, so as to get a start on the dolly and get this up off the floor.

Rob

Evening All

Another update, I've been getting the paint on most pieces now, so thought I'd rebuild the trunnion to day.

So 1st job is replaceing the rise and fall rack, this was rather tight to refit, so I used a 1" square bar and pladed over the top of the slotted spring pins, and this allowed me to tap it home.
IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1242.JPG IMG_1255.JPG

Now on to the slid bracket and the tilt canting rack "middle pic!" note the pivot pin that holds the slide bracket in place is 7mm shy from full depth ? and a rather nasty hole on the canting bracket, lower right. other than that, both racks are in pretty good shape.
IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1290.JPG

Moving onto the rise and fall worm, note that the SSP has not fully penetrated, this is due to misalignment of the pieces during fabrication,
and 45 years off service and holding, so thought It wise to leave as is. I Strongly recommend fitting the worm as soon as, this is one heavy lump and having a finger in the wrong place, and that sliding bracket will have it off if not being careful when handling.
IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1309.JPG

Then onto the SB retaining bracket. note another nasty hole "centre far left" behind the cant rack, this is the slotted pin locating hole for the CR, that'll be #4 anomalies the trunnion had when leaving the factory from the 6 components fitted.
IMG_1322.JPG

Rob

Nice!

This is like christmas, I've no idea what it is and don't tell me, but it looks like a tidy job you're doing and I'll keep my eye out for updates.

Back