Bestcombi 2000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawhead

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems a bit cheeky after just joining UKW that I need a little help. The thicknesser/planer is not feeding the wood through. The cutter spindle turns but not the ribbed spindle. Also there is a lever that I'm not sure what it is supposed to do. There is no difference whether the lever is up or down. Can anyone give me some advice on this please.

Sounds like a broken drive belt to the rollers. Or did the BestCombi have chains?
(Whichever, they were really nice machines)
Thank for replying so quick. I guessed it could be a belt, I was hoping it would be something much easier to get to. It's such a heavy machine to move. Cheers

I dont know that machine, but the dw1150 s had a lever to engage the feed rollers.....

It seems a bit cheeky after just joining UKW that I need a little help. The thicknesser/planer is not feeding the wood through. The cutter spindle turns but not the ribbed spindle. Also there is a lever that I'm not sure what it is supposed to do. There is no difference whether the lever is up or down. Can anyone give me some advice on this please.
Has this problem just started, or is the machine new to you?
I have the same machine and at first it took a bit of getting used to engage the activation lever.

Last edited:
Has this problem just started, or is the machine new you?
I have the same machine and at first it took a bit of getting used to engage the activation lever.
I've had this machine for fifteen years now from new and until recently it has never let me down. A couple of months ago the start capacitor burnt out. I realise this was my fault probably due to setting the planer to deep and therefore straining the cutters. Now of course I I've done a silly thing by getting a knot jammed making the feeder roller stop, this in turn I now realise has snapped the main drive belt. I have today ordered another one from Solent tools. I not looking forward to the fitting of the belt but no belt no planer! I must admit I have never used the engagement lever so there's a lesson learned. You will enjoy using your machine and finding out just how creative you can be with it.

The engagement lever on mine needs to be lifted and then pushed towards /pulled away from the centre of the machine to engage the feed roller - just a thought incase you have just been lifting the lever.

in terms of the belt itself, from memory I think you can check it’s condition and adjust it by opening the access panel below the cross cut sliding table rail.

I dont know that machine, but the dw1150 s had a lever to engage the feed rollers.....
Yes it has an engagement lever but I have never used it. Still the drive belt has snapped so a new one is coming. Thank you anyway .

The engagement lever on mine needs to be lifted and then pushed towards /pulled away from the centre of the machine to engage the feed roller - just a thought incase you have just been lifting the lever.

in terms of the belt itself, from memory I think you can check it’s condition and adjust it by opening the access panel below the cross cut sliding table rail.
I have just been lifting and lowering the lever, I didn't realise it needed pushing as well, many thanks for the info. I'll try it when it's back on it's feet again. I waiting for a new belt to arrive so the machine is on it's side right now.

I have just been lifting and lowering the lever, I didn't realise it needed pushing as well, many thanks for the info. I'll try it when it's back on it's feet again. I waiting for a new belt to arrive so the machine is on it's side right now.
You shouldn't need to turn the machine on its side. Should all be accessible, albeit by removing guards in situ. Have you got a manual for it? It shows exploded diagrams of all drives and parts.

I suppose I could have taken the side panel and got to it that way but putting the machine on it's end I have more room to maneuver. I do have a multi language manual and it does as you say show an exploded view of the parts.

I changed the belt on the planer for the first time in the twenty years I've had it. You can do it without tipping it on its side but I can see how it would be easier.

Back