Best wood for usable drinking cup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodLouse

Reaction score
Hi one and all,
New here, so forgive any green mistakes.

What’s the best wood for turning a goblet or beaker that could be used for hot drinks?
And
What would be the best waterproof food grade finish?

Should I post the latter related question in ‘finishes’ ?

For food you want a wood with no taste and that is not posinous, so no laburnum . Sycamore, maple,beech and birch are all traditionally used in dairy buckets and implements due to having no flavour of their own. You can get food grade oils and waxes quite easily.
I have some very thin walled birch wine glasses from Norway that we use fairly regularly so wood is ok for that use, I'm not sure about hot drinks though .

Don't even think about thinking about Yew. It has a reputation, not everyone concurs but in ancient times legend has it that you could poison your guests with Yew goblets.

I've made things like pestle and mortar, used for dry spices and wet mixes, sycamore and maple, and left them unfinished on the grounds you can always give them a good scrub and even sand if necessary.

The Romans used wooden pipes and aqueducts, oak and elm have been found. I guess they weren't hot water pipes though.

I'm sure I've seen discussion on the woodturning/lathes section so you might post your question there as well.

I THINK melamine lacquer is ok - is recommend sending a message or calling Terry Smart at Chestnut Products. He is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful - I've no connection, just been impressed by his approach.
Chestnut Products
PO Box 260
Stowmarket
IP14 9BX
[email protected]
Tel: 01473 890118

I don't know the answer as I've never tried/ looked into it, but I'd go with beech (tight fibres) and try no finish - I'd imagine whatever food-safe finish you put on will come off into your body with hot drinks anyway. Might work ok.

I don't know the answer as I've never tried/ looked into it, but I'd go with beech (tight fibres) and try no finish - I'd imagine whatever food-safe finish you put on will come off into your body with hot drinks anyway. Might work ok.
I think if the wood in unfinished the liquid (especially if hot like coffee) will soak into wood and stain also it.
Check out this video by Matt Jordan, he uses an apple log to turn a coffee mug,

He uses several coats of pure tung oil as a finish
Screenshot_20211127-085456_YouTube.jpg

Back