Best wood for heat resistance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! A member of our team asks if anyone can advise what wood might be best to stand up to a little heat? They have a number of wooden chopping boards that they often use close to their cooker (gas hobs). And have found that over time the wood bends/warps ever so slightly, with being so near to heat, so that the chopping board doesn't sit flat on a flat surface like the kitchen countertop. What happens is like a table with one wonky leg and a bit of a wobbly board. Any advice greatly appreciated!

The Brandon Bespoke Team
Brandon Bespoke Oils & Waxes
[email protected]

All woods will twist occasionally given the combination of heat and moisture from chopping and washing. Consider also what is safe with food - not all woods are and some contain minute quantities of toxins.

Traditionally in the UK, Treen in kitchens is made of Sycamore - my first choice.

However, an uneven board that is mobile as you suggest will sit nicely and squarely on a tea-towel....... can be washed, too.

To stop the loss of moisture you'd need to be looking at some of the modified wood products, some of which are treated at high temperatures (retified). Can't recommend any as I've never used them but might be worth talking to one of the larger timber merchants. As Argus mentioned though you then have to consider the suitability for food contact. Those who sell these products would be able to advise best?

A simpler option might be to put some sort of rubber feet under the board and see if that improves the stability?

I would do as Argus suggested and have a soft layer between the board and surface. Like a non slip mat of sorts.

Whenever I have made cutting boards I have always made them like a butchers block i.e. end grain, as I feel they don’t warp as much, half the problem is people getting them too wet for too long, this can be negated by regular topping up of the food safe/grade of oil which helps prevent the water getting into the pores of the wood, I always use beech. Ian

Thanks for the response Cabinetman, much appreciated. I agree re end grain being best for cutting boards and I'd told our team member that it was likely to do with it getting wet, but thought it an interesting point to ask re wood type all the same.

Trevanion - bit harsh I'd say! We're new to posting on this forum and have been lucky to have its very experienced members generously lend their advice. The openness and encouragement between members is one of the reasons we decided to start posting after far too long lurking. To seek the members' own opinions on which woods perform well under heat I think is an interesting topic.

The Brandon Bespoke Team
Brandon Bespoke Oils & Waxes
[email protected]

Maybe I am being harsh but I just would've thought that a company that sells boutique oils and products geared towards chopping boards and the like would know that wood warps when heated and subjected to constant humidity changes, and that practically all wood does this due to the nature of the material.

Back