Best way to store planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post here from the Loon Ranch.
I keep most of my planes on an inclined shelf.
Some planes are in cubbies.
56FDCF5E-78CD-4D29-9C74-EC31BE5B7146.jpeg
The heel of each plane rests on a 1/8” thk. strip to keep the iron up off the shelf.

Regards,
Phil

Surely then, if those naughty molecules keep sliding up and down the blade depending on which way the plane is oriented then it makes more sense to keep the plane flat and keep those critters evenly distributed across the blade. Also, what about if you store the plane in a near vertical position (a la Studley) - will those bad boys worm their way up the blade towards the end of the lateral adjuster and thereby leaving the plane nice and sharp?

As far as laying the plane down - my preferred option is flat on some 3mm ply or some shavings

And as far as plane socks go - I only have lairy spotted pairs.....

A reasonable thought, but sadly wrong. It is true that when the blade is flat the molecules will migrate to the edge and so the effect may seem to be that as all the edge is affected at the same time that the sharpness is not affected. But sadly this is not so as the micromolecules fall off the edge leading to a general dulling of the sharpness and a potential staining of the work bench top. They can also be attracted to any chisels within about 93mm of the plane blade where they congregate at the edge leading to general chisel dulling as well.
So lay your planes on their side and keep turning them on a regular basis and all will be well.
You have not been charged for this advice.
Cheers, Phil

First post here from the Loon Ranch.
I keep most of my planes on an inclined shelf.
Some planes are in cubbies.The heel of each plane rests on a 1/8” thk. strip to keep the iron up off the shelf.
That's a good use of space there and nice collection of tools. I notice you're a lefty (that or you got the 51 in a sale ;) ).

Actually, the No. 51 is a right hand. I use the No. 9 as a lefty.

Phil G.
Of course, just noticed the position of the handle. Doh.... No. 9's have sky rocketed in the last 12 months, you will probably get better returns on that than high risk stocks. Nice setup either way.

Can I ask why you went the Veritas route for shoulder planes but pretty much Lie Nielsen for everything else. I'm looking to get a shoulder plane and have never quite decided on those two options.

Of course, just noticed the position of the handle. Doh.... No. 9's have sky rocketed in the last 12 months, you will probably get better returns on that than high risk stocks. Nice setup either way.

Can I ask why you went the Veritas route for shoulder planes but pretty much Lie Nielsen for everything else. I'm looking to get a shoulder plane and have never quite decided on those two options.
I prefer the way Veritas shoulder / rebate planes feel in my hands.
Also, the lateral adjustment of the iron is done with two set screws on either side which makes the setting very precise and secure.

Regards,
Phil G.

A reasonable thought, but sadly wrong. It is true that when the blade is flat the molecules will migrate to the edge and so the effect may seem to be that as all the edge is affected at the same time that the sharpness is not affected. But sadly this is not so as the micromolecules fall off the edge leading to a general dulling of the sharpness and a potential staining of the work bench top. They can also be attracted to any chisels within about 93mm of the plane blade where they congregate at the edge leading to general chisel dulling as well.
So lay your planes on their side and keep turning them on a regular basis and all will be well.
You have not been charged for this advice.
Cheers, Phil
Chisels as well.....struth....... what's the tolerance there then? Will my chisels be safe from those dastardly micromolecules at 91/95mm from the plane blades? I'm starting to panic as I really don't want my chisels to go blunt.

I spray the plywood base of my stand with camelia oil once in a while and rust hasn't proved a problem in my wooden workshop/shed.
20210324_085037.jpg

Back