Best way to machine off one side of a large wood beam, in situ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
It is looking good. I think the problem with infill panels is keeping the water out of the frame.

With regard to cladding, as you say, the decorative panels have caused problems and having vertical joints will not have helped either.

For cladding you could consider tiles, it is a large flat area without windows, the only special tiles would be the external corner between the face and the sides.

I went for lead, my dormers are smaller with windows, tiling would have been difficult with lots of expensive special tiles. I did not want timber for maintenance reasons and plastic was out of the question. Here is a picture
C3FD4ADA-86EA-41F6-828F-63AB36B7587E.jpeg

rich1911

Established Member
Reaction score
It is looking good. I think the problem with infill panels is keeping the water out of the frame.

With regard to cladding, as you say, the decorative panels have caused problems and having vertical joints will not have helped either.

For cladding you could consider tiles, it is a large flat area without windows, the only special tiles would be the external corner between the face and the sides.

I went for lead, my dormers are smaller with windows, tiling would have been difficult with lots of expensive special tiles. I did not want timber for maintenance reasons and plastic was out of the question. Here is a picture
View attachment 139170
Yep, Lead or zinc is an option... or even Polyurethane mock tudor boards! (the horror....)

Last edited:

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
or even Polyurethane mock tudor boards! (the horror....)
Mock Tudor cladding be it timber or polyurethane is still “mock”. Personally I would not want the maintenance liability of painted timber in that location.

I like the beetle (as in car) in your previous photo.

rich1911

Established Member
Reaction score
Mock Tudor cladding be it timber or polyurethane is still “mock”. Personally I would not want the maintenance liability of painted timber in that location.

I like the beetle (as in car) in your previous photo.
Yes, painted stuff needs repainting!

The Bug is a '68. It's my other half's.