BEST WAY TO FIX TWO PIECES TOGETHER FOR STACK CUTTING ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i make small children rocking horses and i need to cut two pieces together as the horse has a lot of twin parts

The wood is will be 42 mm thick when two pieces stacked i wil prob use no 7 or 9 blade reverse to cut

what is best way to fix together fo stack cutting i know there will lots of you guys with hints and tips !

i finish sand the wood so any advice as ti=o what has been used and what make would be great

thanks mark

Hi Mark. There are several ways you can stack cut. You can tape the pieces together, you can use a hot melt glue gun, double sided tape. you can nail them together, making sure they don't come through the bottom or you can use my favourite method and screw them together. On my Christmas tree decorations i can cut four at a time so I use two screws in opposite sides on the waste side of the wood and the stack is solid. A lot of people use the blue decorators tape to hold things together and then glue their pattern to the blue tape so that when the workpiece is finished it is just a matter of peeling off the blue tape which comes off easily but at nearly £6 a roll I do it another way. I glue my patterns on with a glue stick and when i have finished I just touch the pieces to the belt/disc sander I bought this morning, brilliant piece of kit.

Ok thanks I might try the glue gun or some normal double sided tape as some pieces are quite big the only thing I not sure about if you use screws or nails does the two pieces start moving when you have cut past those points ? Thats if you screw into the waste ? I can't screw into piece itself as only light sanding when finished and I dont want to have to fill holes
Thanks for your reply
Mark

Hi Mark.

When I stack cut I use two screws as I said and everything holds together very nicely, it is as I finish the final cut that the waste with the screws in becomes separated, you will have to do a mock run with two bits of waste wood to understand what I am on about and then you will see it as clear as day.

Ok Thanks guys I see the merits in both ways I going to try the tape first just got some that is very thin as I said the rockers are Quite long and I have to do a fair bit of mooing around and turning around if tape docent work I will try screw method I keep you posted !
Thanks for taking time to reply

Back