Best way to ease edges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good 1/4" plunge router is ideal for small chamfers. I'd argue better than a trim router because you have more base and a plunge handle to the side that helps you keep the weight over the supported half of the base pressing it firmly down on the surface of your work.
250 feet like this today. No issues.
small nick in the blade there (which does not detract from the super clean work of course!)

I use that bit for any size chamfer -mostly because although a bit dear it uses disposable TCT tips and they are harder than brazed TCT.

of course the height set in the router determines the chamfer size.
Thanks. Yes of course, makes sense to me now.

small nick in the blade there (which does not detract from the super clean work of course!)

Keeping me honest - good man !
OK, one or two issues ...

Like you said, plunge depth on a bearing guided cutter dictates the chamfer. I spotted this after I started. I then learnt that it's fiddly trying to touch up the carbide with a diamond slipstone if you don't want to take out the bit and lose your setting - not much room to work through the opening in the router baseplate :-D

Keeping me honest - good man !
OK, one or two issues ...

Like you said, plunge depth on a bearing guided cutter dictates the chamfer. I spotted this after I started. I then learnt that it's fiddly trying to touch up the carbide with a diamond slipstone if you don't want to take out the bit and lose your setting - not much room to work through the opening in the router baseplate :-D
My apologies for being a pedant :)

I very much doubt you can see that line in reality....close up photography shows up stuff.

I find a digital,depth gauge is handy for setting up chamfer and rounding over set ups

71MOEyTXMOL._AC_SS450_.jpg

My apologies for being a pedant :)

I very much doubt you can see that line in reality....close up photography shows up stuff.

I find a digital,depth gauge is handy for setting up chamfer and rounding over set ups

71MOEyTXMOL._AC_SS450_.jpg
More gadgets the better! :ROFLMAO:

Trimming a small neat chamfer with the suggested hand tools (block-plane or spokeshave) is technically about as difficult as sharpening a pencil. No preparation required - just pick the tool up and do it.
Trimming a larger chamfer ditto - but it helps to mark the edges.
You might need a bit of practice on an off-cut or two but the 'skill' stays with you for life.
Just think of the money you'd save on all those gadgets and attachments!

After posting this question I saw an article in the Woodworker magazine for a v shaped sanding block for edge breaking, I bought it and it arrived today. I assumed it would be disappointing as most low cost (around £20 I think) niche tools are but actually it works! It eases both edges of a side at once and the result is decent. It’s not an ultra sharp finish as it’s sanded but it does just the job for me. It’s called Fastcap Fastbreak XL.

Attachments

• DC6AAE1E-48CD-4E56-BDDE-59AF5C7B2805.jpeg
    DC6AAE1E-48CD-4E56-BDDE-59AF5C7B2805.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3
  • F00B4FF9-23C5-4970-8C23-BB057685E6C9.jpeg
    F00B4FF9-23C5-4970-8C23-BB057685E6C9.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back