Best way to ease edges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol_london

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve always just done a light hand sand to ease the edges and make a small chamfer when I make tables and such, but I’m not happy with the amount of checking and correcting I have to do to make sure the new edge line is even and not wavy. I’m considering trying to plane it and even maybe use a special edge easing plane which is on eBay (mixed reviews). Any advice on the most efficient way forward to getting a consistent eased edge/minor chamfer?

I think I'd like to have a tiny double iron plane for the job, for teeny chamfers.
I wouldn't put as much trust in a bevel up plane due to tearout, and always needing a high bevel and keeping it super keen,
so have a Bailey no.3 for the job, which is probably the cheapest small double iron adjustable plane you might find?

No.3 planes were twice the price of a no.4 last time I looked and does the same job. You could be able to have a plane with a near straight iron, and a second with a little more camber
Might make sense, as you wouldn't be changing the camber and always have a reliable plane setup for the job.

Tom

I use a fauthfull no3 plane, which for £20 is a bargain.

Just the right amount of sole length, weight and ease of use.

Cheers James

A block plane is good but a #3 or #4 will do if its all you have. There are proper chamfer planes and also jigs but they are not really necessary. Like everything else a little bit of practice should get you there. The angle may not be exactly 45* but its easy enough to do something passable with a normal plane.
RWW 123 Create an Even Chamfer By Hand | The Renaissance Woodworker

Regards
John

As I thought, there are various ways. I’m still tempted to sand it but maybe with a jig. I’ll look into a number 3 plane too. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

DSCN2715.JPG

220 block, or spokeshave. Mine thing is a bright light so you see the chamfer and how it's going

I feel like a router has too much risk of a mistake due to the power

Not really, a small 1/4" router with a decent bearing guided bit is perfect for this. Once you've tried it you'll be wondering why you bothered with planes. So easy.

Not really, a small 1/4" router with a decent bearing guided bit is perfect for this.

This is what I do. It does work well and gives crisp, consistent results, even on very small chamfers. However, it can be a bit of an adventure if you‘re reusing reclaimed/awkward timber where the router bit can sometimes catch the grain on the edge. I’ll often ease the edge with some sandpaper first before I route if I‘m being cautious.

This is what I do. It does work well and gives crisp, consistent results, even on very small chamfers. However, it can be a bit of an adventure if you‘re reusing reclaimed/awkward timber where the router bit can sometimes catch the grain on the edge. I’ll often ease the edge with some sandpaper first before I route if I‘m being cautious.
All good, but one slip and the piece is ruined when a router is involved.

Back