Best way to correct paint layer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
A ceiling in a bathroom had paint peeling off, so I ended up using some paint I had left and that did the trick until a few weeks later the paint again peeled away.

Cutting a long story short eventually it was resolved but I couldn't scrape away the old paint so now I have a ceiling which is painted but has layers of old paint and new paint.

What is the best/correct way to remove all layers of paint so I can give it a fresh new coat ensuring the coat is even across the ceiling?

Hope this question makes sense otherwise I can post an image of what I mean.

Hi there Jamie , imo you have several choices - no 1 get a plasterer to overboard ceiling and then a coat of finish plaster and it’s as good as new - 2 use a textured ceiling paint or the dreaded artex - 3 any other covering eg cladding,, there are also plastic panels used to cover walls instead of tiles , as it’s a bathroom consideration to the humidity ( showers and baths etc ) should be taken into account. If it looks really bad then my choice would be option no 1 as that dodgy paint may peel again at some point. If you did go with option 1 then several thin diluted coats of emulsion will adhere to new plaster better than the emulsion straight out of the tin - finish however a coat or two of kitchen and bathroom emulsion. Hope you understand my post …

I'd probably try
- light sanding to smooth any ridge between old and new paint
- a couple of coats of Zinsser Peel Stop to provide a stable surface layer
- a couple of coats of mould-resistant paint (something like Zinsser Perma White)

Go for Bingy man no 1 answer if you can afford it that's the real deal..
Unfortunately everything else might look OK but depends what finish you can live with.

Back