Best vintage manual hand drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go back one, so how do you charge the batteries or are they charged from panels? You can get 12/24 volt Dc to 230 Vac invertors that would power a battery charger but avoid cheap ebay items.

Charged from panels, so I don't have a normal plug socket, I have the same thing you get in a car for charging things so needs to be compatible with that

T
In truth if all you want to do at the moment is to fix some picture hooks into wood just buy the type that are fixed with nails.

I don't know if I'm being stupid here but I thought the screw ones are better as I thought hammering in a hook might bend it

If the picture hooks are small, then just use a sharp round point to skewer a hole in the wood, and screw the hooks directly into the hole.

If the hooks are large, or the wood is thin and/or frail, or the hole location you want is near the edge of the wood, there is a risk you will split the piece of wood. To avoid this, first choose a location away from the edge or end of a piece of wood. Then drill a pilot hole for the screw. If you are not sure what size hole, or what drill bit, just ask.

Regards

If the picture hooks are small, then just use a sharp round point to skewer a hole in the wood, and screw the hooks directly into the hole.

If the hooks are large, or the wood is thin and/or frail, or the hole location you want is near the edge of the wood, there is a risk you will split the piece of wood. To avoid this, first choose a location away from the edge or end of a piece of wood. Then drill a pilot hole for the screw. If you are not sure what size hole, or what drill bit, just ask.

Regards

Thankyou! :)

IMO just buy a new drill for what I suspect you are drilling (pilot drill holes for screw hooks cuphook size) and how often it will used I would suggest a new drill such as a Draper - will do what you need. Robert Dyas info below.. An old one is likely to be worn out

Draper 8mm 3/8" Chuck Double Pinion Hand Drill
Product code 149627

OR as Stan just said poke a hole with something sharp and pointy such as a Bradawl then screw it in by hand. If a large hook 3 to 5 mm or bigger then drill a hole. Don't forget to buy a drill bit a little thinner diameter than your hook screw diameter
Hope this helps

Seems like you're getting recommendations for drills and screwdrivers, two different things.

If you're looking to drill holes on wood frames so you can screw hooks into them, then you can try to find what is called an "egg beater drill", there were may makers so you may need to find a suitable one.

Take a look at this as a reference, maybe you can find something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Swpeet-Powerful-Capacity-Pinions-Plastics/dp/B0773KZ35J/
If you want to be extravagant and if you can buy these in the UK...

https://garrettwade.com/product/garrett-wade-push-drill

Keep an eye on popular auction sites and social media market places. The old “egg beater” style hand drills come up from time to time often for sensible money. Be careful though because some unscrupulous people try to sell clapped out tools as ‘vintage’ with an unreasonable asking prices.
Either that or just buy a new one. Maybe not as pleasing to own as a nice vintage example but will still reliably drill plenty of screw holes.

One final word of caution if you do buy an open “egg beater” style drill - Keep your fingers away from the pinions. They can give you a quite a pinch.

Here’s 3/4 of my collection. I have an enclosed one somewhere but couldn’t find it quickly.
Top one is double pinion and dated 1944

38E5D1FA-826D-4962-8B1D-99EC8552E4DE.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm going to play devil's advocate here Soph.
Bear with me.
While a hand drill is great for certain things, mainly drilling small diameter holes that's about all they do. And while they do that well, that's all they do. In wood/mdf/plastic. But that's it.
I'm labouring the point somewhat but for a reason, a cordless drill is invaluable round the house.
While you asked for non electric if you get a small cheap cordless battery drill, for the amount of use it will get I don't think you would regret this Aldi sold Ferrex one.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/20v-cordless...aLUU0Eag_EToByx6mmUaArFsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.dsIt's dirt cheap, £20 ffs! It comes with a selection of drill bits (for holes) and drivers (think small heads you use to drive in screws) so you are up and running already. Aldi have an excellent returns policy and generally the power tools are 'competent' (read generally good build quality for occasional use, that's the market they are aimed at). Lots on here use Aldi and Lidl tools.
Also you can use it for far more. Drill your hole, swap the head and drive a fixing in without having to screw it in by hand. (You will always use crossheads/phillips type heads after this).
Bought some ikea furniture? Whack it together like a pro in half the time without using that dodgy ikea tool they throw in and getting blisters.
Need to put a (very occasional!) picture up on a brick wall? Get a masonry drill bit and this drill will (very slowly) get you there. Insert your rawl plug and use your drill to smugly and easily drive home your screw.
Kitchen door hinge coming loose? 'vvffft' Thats the drill sound. 😬
Sink blocked? Use a drill powered cable to unblock it.
Want to dance like a robot While Making Cool Robot Noises? Pick up your drill. Vvvffft. Vvvffffft. Vvfft.
Want to impress young (very young) kids draw your cordless drill like a cowboy and shoot them. Pew.
Ok, we're getting the picture.

Despite all the excellent and helpful advice on traditional hand drills above. Ignore it all and get a battery powered one. There's a reason no tradesperson in the land (yes, with the odd exception guys, that proves the rule) uses traditional drills anymore.
Unless you are off grid, on a narrowboat with no access to electric or living in a bothy on Shetland because modern society is soon going to collapse and mwahaha you'll be ready... defeat your fear of powertools on this one Soph. Drills are not your enemy here. Not scary in the slightest.
This one even has a keyless chuck so you just tighten it by hand.
£23.95 delivered tomorrow. And No. I do not work for Aldi.

But I can dance like a robot. Vffft. VFFTTT. VvvvvvfffffT!
And sometimes, even now, I do. You could too.

371px-We_Can_Do_It!_NARA_535413_-_Restoration_2.jpg

Last edited:
I have never in my life drilled a hole into anything to hang a picture. Most pound shops and the like sell a picture hanging kit that will give you many options for various applications for very little money.

It's dirt cheap, £20 ffs! It comes with a selection of drill bits (for holes) and drivers.......
£23.95 delivered tomorrow......
View attachment 107110

Although I whole heartedly agree with the merits of a cheap cordless drill the OP specifically didn’t want anything electric plus there will be no “VVVVFT” at that price as neither the battery or charger are included.

Ooh thankyou all, some very interesting points! Thanks HamsterJam, love the look of the older tools! Maybe new would be fine then. Bm101 you're really selling it to me, Aldi should definitely give you a job! Will bear in mind what you've said, I actually am off-grid and my charging point in like what you get in a car but could probably charge elsewhere when needed. I just don't think I'll use it that often. I'm not much of a DIYer! Powertools, it's actually a screw in hook, I called it a picture hook but not sure it's the same thing

Ah thanks Andy, I'm based in Devon though so probably a bit far :)
I
Have camper, will travel, sounds like a cunning plan....:cool:
Seriously though, I can have a look at what's in the box of drills if you like and sort something out with you (y)
Cheers Andy

Back