Best vintage Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not chisels but gouges issac greaves Matheson Glasgow marples stormont and some I can't make out
20210919_103824.jpg
20210919_103037.jpg
20210919_102806.jpg

I've got a Nurse plane and a large Nurse paring chisel. I believe there may have been more than one of them (sorry if I don't actually know that much about the different makers - I just like the tools and not much of a retro reader). But I think I may have one marked I.Nurse and one C.Nurse. Too lazy to go dig in the piles and see if I can find both.

I think they were sellers of tools, not sure they were actually makers. I've seen Nurse on saws, too.

I thought I`d do a little research on your behalf.

Charles Nurse Catalogue 1902 (taths.org.uk)

C. Nurse & Co – The Coopers' Tool Museum (cooperstoolmuseum.com)

I can`t find out too much but they seemed to be based in London.

Might I present a gratuitous gouge drive by.....
Very recent purchase so no feedback but I believe this lot (top row) was originally bought all at once. Notice the not so popular ones being old style bolsters and the smallest ones substituted with Stormonts.
Cheers Andy
IMG_20210725_224927.jpg

Very recent purchase so no feedback but I believe this lot (top row) was originally bought all at once. Notice the not so popular ones being old style bolsters and the smallest ones substituted with Stormonts.
Cheers Andy View attachment 118153
'Gratuitous gouge drive by' - hahahahaha!

Cheers Andy View attachment 118153
Wow, that's quiet a collection.

I've picked up another chisel today for £1. It's a Robert Sorby and I think it's a paring chisel, approx 1/4".
It needs quite a bit of work but I'm looking forward to tackling it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_103853.jpg
    IMG_20210920_103853.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210920_103929.jpg
    IMG_20210920_103929.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210920_103956.jpg
    IMG_20210920_103956.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 10
I acquired a bunch of assorted chisels in an auction lot this week, for 7 quid all up. Readable brands are Ward, Stormont, Robert Sorby and something that could be Grades or Brades (ideas welcome). All the handles are in a shocking state though so I have some work to do.

My favourite one though is this, from I. Sorby (just about legible).
IMG_20210922_132651388 (1).jpg
IMG_20210922_132639565.jpg

The iron is 1.7/16" wide and it has a 6" handle. It's really heavy for its size. I wonder about the original length and why on earth it's been butchered into a...well I don't know what, but it's still sharp. The handle has seen better days too, but still has a nice polish to it. Should I try to re-grind into a usable chisel or leave it?

It looks like its been reshaped for a turners scraper. I would like a bit more handle on it before taking it to the lathe however.
I dont think there would be much left if you reground it back to a bench chisel.
Regards
John

I thought it was maybe to clean up coves. As a scraper type thing. Of course we'll never know for sure and could even have been for buttering the rolls for breakfast.

There's a lot of bevel for lathe use, but some sort of scraper seems reasonable. Either way, I'll keep it as it is, it's a lot of work to re-grind it, and as you say John not much left afterwards! It's a good age, just think of the hands it's been through in a century and a half (ish).

I acquired a bunch of assorted chisels in an auction lot this week, for 7 quid all up. Readable brands are Ward, Stormont, Robert Sorby and something that could be Grades or Brades (ideas welcome). All the handles are in a shocking state though so I have some work to do.

My favourite one though is this, from I. Sorby (just about legible).View attachment 118367View attachment 118368
The iron is 1.7/16" wide and it has a 6" handle. It's really heavy for its size. I wonder about the original length and why on earth it's been butchered into a...well I don't know what, but it's still sharp. The handle has seen better days too, but still has a nice polish to it. Should I try to re-grind into a usable chisel or leave it?
I have a patternmakers tool chest that came to me with the original tools and one of the chisels looks similar to yours. I wonder if your chisel came from a patternmaker.

Tools - misc.jpg

Back