Best vintage Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
talking of treacle tins , remember when they were mugs and kettles for tea , over a brazier?
We had white enamel billy cans or "snap cans" with a cup on top. Bring your own with some tea leaves in it and somebody would take them off and bring them back at 12 filled with boiling water.

Sounds like you were never the apprentice.
Builders labourer - one of my many early career moves. A lot of digging with pick shovel and barrow. JCBs weren't that common back then. Concrete mixers hand loaded, ready mix hadn't been invented. Bricks and cements unloaded by hand. Fork lift trucks weren't that common either! Did do some shuttering joinery just as a labourer.

Last edited:
Back on topic! Not for long I presume.
Couldn't load pictures in intended order so this looks a but confused:

Best vintage chisel, not this one a Narex paring:

IMG_4216.JPG

Heavy crude and thick
IMG_4217.JPG

Compare contrast with two old paring chisels
IMG_4218.JPG

This a 1 1/4 " paring, very fine but but very short - years of use worn out and new old handle. Not a lot of use so ended up as a putty knife. Sorry C Taylor!
IMG_4204.JPG

This a 1" paring A Hildick "Diamic" with War Dept bench mark 1944. My birth year! A very fine chisel and a pleasure to use, 2/3rd the weight of the same size length 1" Narex and much thinner
IMG_4206.JPG

all 3 together. Narex a clumsy lump in comparison to the other two
IMG_4202.JPG
IMG_4212.JPG

Last edited:
I've a favoured old chisel I usually use on dovetails. It's got no makers mark I can see, probably honed off years ago, all i can make out is Sheffield Cast Steel. its 1" by about 2 1/2-3mm thick for much of it, oak handle. I love it because I can get it very very sharp.
I've a tendency to put really shallow angles on it to utilize its super sharp ability, but that doesn't last long so I use it really just for hand paring.
Its about 10" overall, with 3 1/2" of blade

JCBs weren't that common back then. Concrete mixers hand loaded, ready mix hadn't been invented.
JCBs really took off in the1960s, things like the Manitou site FLT probably 1980s. You're showing your age!

Bricks and cements unloaded by hand.
I can remember that. If you went onto a site as a chippy you'd often be asked to make up knocking up tables or floats (and even hawks) for the plasterers (they often had their own handles in lime wood), whilst the brickies always seemed to need spot boards or maybe even a hod or two to be made out of plywood. All good apprentice tasks

Last edited:
We had white enamel billy cans or "snap cans" with a cup on top. Bring your own with some tea leaves in it and somebody would take them off and bring them back at 12 filled with boiling water.
I do so remember those, Jacob, but I didn't know that you can still buy them.
Untitled.jpg

Back on topic! Not for long I presume.
Couldn't load pictures in intended order so this looks a but confused:

Best vintage chisel, not this one a Narex paring:

View attachment 117982

Heavy crude and thick
View attachment 117983

Compare contrast with two old paring chisels
View attachment 117984

This a 1 1/4 " paring, very fine but but very short - years of use worn out and new old handle. Not a lot of use so ended up as a putty knife. Sorry C Taylor!
View attachment 117985

This a 1" paring A Hildick "Diamic" with War Dept bench mark 1944. My birth year! A very fine chisel and a pleasure to use, 2/3rd the weight of the same size length 1" Narex and much thinner
View attachment 117986
all 3 together. Narex a clumsy lump in comparison to the other two
View attachment 117987View attachment 117988
Some nice old brand names there.

This discussion has educated me substantially. Here in the western Canadas a house made 100 years ago is celebrated if it still stands,

And the knowledge of the tools and skills to repair and maintain them is rapidly fading.

Eric
Enoying my #makerspace......protospace.ca

Took another closer look at the few older chisels ive got, I've a total of 4.
1. As above, can only read 'Sheffield Cast Steel' 1" firmer
2. J.Howarth 3/4" firmer
3. I can just make out Marples on it, 3/4" bevel
4. A gouge 3/4"(maybe less actual cutting size) and I can make Hooper's, something below that but illegible.- Maybe make out a POR,possible T, but the rest is gone.
All appear to be cast steel
The last one (No4) I've never heard of. anyone ?

I'll get some pics up soonish, just lining some small windows on my Cat Bothy.

Last edited:
Its time i posted a few pics now. I've only just started with vintage chisels. Up until now I used a Narex set (which I'm happy with).
Here is my new/old additions....

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_175311.jpg
    IMG_20210906_175311.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 17
Stormont mortice chisel. Sizes will be added when I've measured them again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_132104.jpg
    IMG_20210917_132104.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 5
Back