Best vintage Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's how I've always done them with a saw, before the frame is built up of course. 2 drill holes in the parting bead slot to cut the long side with a hole saw. 2 tenon saw cuts from the front, 2 from the back, whack it with a hammer to break it out. Important to choose pieces for the pulley stiles without knots or wild grain where the break out must happen, or it may not break neatly.

That's how I've always done them with a saw, before the frame is built up of course. 2 drill holes in the parting bead slot to cut the long side with a hole saw. 2 tenon saw cuts from the front, 2 from the back, whack it with a hammer to break it out. Important to choose pieces for the pulley stiles without knots or wild grain where the break out must happen, or it may not break neatly.
As always, the choice of the right stuff is important... But after reading under your name and seeing,
''Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please'' I have a question for you - What about a pickled egg with those crisps? Chuckle!

As always, the choice of the right stuff is important... But after reading under your name and seeing,
''Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please'' I have a question for you - What about a pickled egg with those crisps? Chuckle!
Yes but exceeds the word allowance! We call it a scotch egg here, they know what you mean behind the bar.
Paradise:

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 10.36.45.png

Pickled eggs and Scotch eggs are totally different.
In our local pub a "scotch egg" means a pickled egg in a packet of crisps. They don't do the Scottish variety so there is no misunderstanding.
Hope that helps.

What your local pub calls it doesn't really matter to the rest of the Country.

Hope that helps.
In our pub we really don't care what the rest of the country call scotch eggs.
Hope that helps.

Well I dunno if it's "oldtools marketing hyperbole" or not, but the shorter/wider chisels are often referred to as sash ( ?-makers/repairers?) chisels
It's hyperbole. This is a sash pocket chisel (left) next to a traditional bevel edge chisel (right). Note how this it is in comparison

20210914_121223.jpg

Designed for taking out the sash weight pocket on traditional vertical sliding sash windows. Not the same as a bevel edge chisel at all. The old guy this came from did repair work on sashes rather than make from new

Now you've seen several, Jacob

Last edited:
It's hyperbole. This is a sash pocket chisel (left) next to a traditional bevel edge chisel (right). Note how this it is in comparison

View attachment 117785

Designed for taking out the sash weight pocket on traditional vertical sliding sash windows. Not the same as a bevel edge chisel at all. The old guy this came from did repair work on sashes rather than make from new

Now you've seen several, Jacob
You might say that Jacob's comment has caused pics of sash pocket chisels to come flying out of the woodwork. Hahaha!

Interesting thing about that one is that it isn't sharpened to a point, but has a very small flat on the end. Used to pry out then clean up sash pocket covers out on the job without damaging them too much, rather than for chopping them out on the bench

Interesting thing about that one is that it isn't sharpened to a point, but has a very small flat on the end. Used to pry out then clean up sash pocket covers out on the job without damaging them too much, rather than for chopping them out on the bench
Well that's a mystery solved for me and I've been thinking about it for years!

If you think about it, these are very thin chisels. The handles on all the ones I've seen (as well as those in catalogues) have neither a ferrule at the top, nor a leather washer at the bottom. So not really meant to be struck hard with a hammer or heavily at all, I'd say, although they were often offered with an ash handle :unsure:

Possibly used differently in the field than in the workshop?

Last edited:
If you think about it, these are very thin chisels. The handles on all the ones I've seen (as well as those in catalogues) have neither a ferrule at the top, nor a leather washer at the bottom. So not really meant to be struck with a hammer or heavily at all, I'd say, although they were often offered with an ash handle :unsure:

Possibly used differently in the field than in the workshop?
Not used in the workshop I guess. Just for maintenance. Have been doing the same thing for years with fishtail scraper.

Forgotten the name, but isn't that for the joint where thin glazing bars meet, with positioning and overshoot protection built in?

You do have a fine collection, Ted ...... Keep 'em coming.

so have the panel decided sash pocket chisels were for maintenance rather than manufacture? the pockets I've got the parting groove runs down the middle but the ends are definitely chiselled. I'll try and remember not to forget to take a snap!

Back