Best type of buffing/polishing attachment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polly1313

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody recommend the best type of attachment for buffing/polishing wood after it's been waxed?

I'll probably use it as a power drill attachment, or on an angle grinder.

Links to Tool Station/Screwfix etc would be great, if suitable!

Is it for furniture or what size of items? I have a good buffing system that fits on a lathe and others that go on a bench grinder.

Also, flat or contoured items?

Orraloon":2litvpbu said:
A car buffing machine/polisher. They are not expensive.
Regards
John
OK. So the car body paint buffers do the same job as buffing wax on wood?

Polly1313":1u28lerq said:
Orraloon":1u28lerq said:
A car buffing machine/polisher. They are not expensive.
Regards
John
OK. So the car body paint buffers do the same job as buffing wax on wood?

Yes. Wax on wood or on the car just dont use the same mop on both. I have used a buffer head on a drill in the past but it is a bit awkward to hold. Car buffers have a nice handle to hold and have a selection of speeds. They come in battery, power or air. I was given one as a present and hint about my car care but its first use was to polish the dining table.
Regards
John

Polly1313":2aw8i1i8 said:
Applying Fiddes wax to untreated timber.
I assume it is Fiddes Supreme wax....horrible stuff, it has a large amount of parafin wax in its makeup and so will always be soft and sticky. If you try to use any sort of buffing machine with this wax it will just melt it and all the wax you put on the timber will end up on the polishing head. If you have invested in a large amount of this wax and you dont want to waste it there are a few things you can do to get an acceptable finish. Firstly you need to prime the timber otherwise whatever wax you put on will just sink into the grain in a very short amount of time. There are a few things you can use to prime the wood, shellac sanding sealer, danish or any other kind of oil intended for wood or you can use some thinned down varnish. Once your sealer has dried the best way to apply supreme wax is to use a 2" decorators brush, not an expensive one but not the cheapest either. Dip the tip of the brush into the wax and brush it on with the grain, applying just enough to cover the wood. When you have a whole area covered, using the same brush but with no more wax keep brushing over the area using long light strokes from one end to the other, in a fairly short time you will have a shiny wax finish. A much better wax for this sort of furniture is Briwax but it will still need a primer. You can also buy a wax brush for a drill which works quite well for this sort of finishing.
https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/pr ... gJFFfD_BwE

Back