Best TV Wall bracket fixings for plasterboard wall ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
I searched the forum but didn't find an answer unfortunately

My daughter wants a TV bracket fixing on the wall (I think its a 50" flat screen TV)

They have ordered the correct bracket for the TV but am unsure whats the best type of fixings to use

Where I have put up shelves, curtain poles etc I have used the wigwam type of fixings and all have been fine

Are these as good as any other fixings for plasterboard?

I have looked at the toggle type, some snap off some are rigid, but they have their detractors

Its a fairly new build, so no wooden studs to fix to the boards appear to be fixed to metal stud/brackets but I have no idea how solid they are to be able to fix to them

Any suggestions please ?

I am in the UK by the way

Attachments

• Clip179.jpg
    Clip179.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Clip180.jpg
    Clip180.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 321
I've no direct experience but a few minutes watching this might help. It's Andy McClellan aka Gosforth Handyman testing fixings on plasterboard.

https://youtu.be/6OUqyMPX-As

He has several other videos on testing other fixings but I think this is closest to your question.

Thanks for that, I was obviously using different search terms this time, but recognise that video, I have watched it in the past

I also watched another similar one by a chap in the USA but he was not so fastidious in his methods, ie he used power tools which I would not recommend for this type of fixing

I just checked and the weight of their TV is 17.5kg so am more than happy with the umbrella/wigwam fixings

I've used the umbrella type for fixing radiators over the last 30+ years & never had a problem even with very big rads.
My only suggestion would be to buy branded ones such as Fischer as the thread on cheap ones can strip very easily.

Thanks for the additional advice

I have mostly been using generic ones from kits, so far I have not had any failures of any sort thread wise (famous last words I know ;-)

I only ever use hand tools to fit them, you get a much better feel when using them than a power drill/driver

In this case I shall probably do overkill and fit six

The one variety of fixing I would never use is the screw in plasterboard fitting, totally useless IMHO

I would do absolutely anything it took to get at least a couple of fixings into the studs. Self tappers, and even self-drilling woodscrews, will drill into the aluminium profile.

That TV is 17.5 kg deadweight, flat on the scales. Put that weight on an arm sticking out into the room and it very quickly becomes very much more :shock:
I expect there is a mathematician in the building who can work that out for you.

That TV will NOT stay on a plasterboard wall unless its dead flat up against it. Any kind of swivel places it away from the wall and then the fun starts.
Even a couple of inches away increases the downwards force.

drywall screws are designed to self drill into metal studs, and with a 50" tv the bracket should be wide enough to span a couple of studs(if they are in the right place of course, which they wont be............ the If it is a normal bracket ie not swivel 90% of the weight is going straight down the wall. these gripits get good reviews
https://www.toolstation.com/gripit-plas ... ing/p11651

the 20mm brown ones have a (I think M5 machine screw not a normal screw)

Some give them good reviews, others don't

They appear to give far less of a footprint on the reverse of plasterboard than the umbrella/wigwams do

I hear what you say, but the tests I have seen done on the umbrella/wigwam variety I intend to use give 40kg + on the 5 x 43 and 50kg + on the 5 x 52

As that gives x 4 = 160kg or 240kg on the larger fixings, I think thats ample for a 17.5kg tv which as I understand it will be flat on the wall, no swivel

I do understand the increased leverage if it stands off the wall

I used these same fixings for fairly heavy curtain poles and curtains which have stood the test of time, plus shelves etc

sunnybob":2e7xw4rn said:
That TV is 17.5 kg deadweight, flat on the scales. Put that weight on an arm sticking out into the room and it very quickly becomes very much more :shock:
I expect there is a mathematician in the building who can work that out for you.

That TV will NOT stay on a plasterboard wall unless its dead flat up against it. Any kind of swivel places it away from the wall and then the fun starts.

Yes indeed, hence the post really, I just wanted to clarify what others might use or suggest

I just got a link to the bracket and its a flat to wall variety, or as near as it can be given you need a space for leads etc, but its not one of those swivel variety

The bracket has a 75kg load limit

I also found out the Tv in question is only 42" so a bit smaller than I expected too

There are a lot of poor reviews on them online

Main things appear to be the size of hole required and that they stand proud of the wall

I don't think they are something I will be using

If you are concerned and wanted a belt and braces approach just use some grip type adhesive in addition to the fixings

Its a thought but I don't think that will be necessary

Thats not so much belt and braces but rather belt, braces, corset & jock strap ;-)

whatknot":3nvu8wck said:
.......That TV will NOT stay on a plasterboard wall unless its dead flat up against it. Any kind of swivel places it away from the wall and then the fun starts.

Out from the wall there is not just a downward force (which plasterboard resists reasonably well), but a pull-out force, which it doesn't resist well.

Latest posts

Back