Best tool to cut thin metal trims at speed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabeta279

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice as to what tool I should be looking for.

I'm fairly frequently needing to cut thin strips of metal for trimming things (this will include mitre and angle cuts).

I've used a chopsaw for this in the past, but this is often quite dangerous as the blade can 'pull' the metal and bend it.

A standard hacksaw does the job, but is much slower. Using a mitre block improves things, but is limited to set 45/90 degree angles.

Can you get a scrollsaw that allows mitres? Or can you get a mini bandsaw?

Any thoughts/tips most welcome!

The nibbler obviously punches out little bits, so you could say its a bit wasteful. The shear looks to be the better of these two options.

counter argument, the shears deform the sheet, the nibbler doesn't.
Also, who doesn't like to spend the next 3 weeks plucking little bits of metal out of their fingers? :)
I'm lucky, I have both as dedicated tools, both have their uses but most of the time the big manual sheer wins as it can cut up to 2mm plate.

You don't say how thick, or what material. For anything less than about 1mm I would use snips. Thicker an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting disc.You can buy a stand to turn your angle grinder into a sort of chop saw as well.

I had one of these, which I used for metal roofing work. It has a left and right shear and takes a strip out of the middle so it does not bend the work. Mine had a cord. I remember it was fast and easy to use.

MetalShear.jpg

Surprised no one has said jigsaw…my Dewalt does a lovely job on steel with a decent blade fitted.

Great thoughts all - really helpful! Id not really tried snips - it's generally 1-3mm I'm cutting, so no particularly thick.

I've tried cheap snips in the past and they bent the metal a bit (like blunt scissors), but maybe a good pair would be the trick here....!

Back