Best spray system for small workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone point me in the right direction for the best spray system for a small workshop.

I was wondering if there are ones that don't use a compressor and still can produce professional results (with practise)

cheers

Ian

I have had two Apollo HVLP units. Recommended. The problem with spraying is not the spray units, though, it's making a suitable environment (spray booth). I never got that right.
S

I have the earlex. It's a great machine just shop around and there's a huge variation in price between retailers.

HVLP is the way to go, very little overspray compared to conventional high pressure systems, mobile car body repairers generally use HVLP and spray inside a sort of frame tent affair.

Thanks guys HVLP seems the way to go - anyone know where I might get a small booth or extraction equitment?

Ian

Because you don't get a great deal of overspray extraction may not be neccessary, a decent mask might be enough, depends what you're spraying as well. The "booth" could just be a cheap gazebo that you set up when you need it, or see if you can find an old frame tent.

I have just purchased the Earlex5000 after reading some good reviews and watching some youtube video's.

Best price I found was £145, well worth a go for that price I thought!

I have had my Earlex 5000 for about two weeks now and am really impressed with it, payed £150 from MP Tools as well.

Ian

I was also looking at the Earlex after seeing it on the wood whisperer website. It does seem that the main factor is location, whether or not you need the spray booth.

I assume that if you do it outside then a respirator will do. or are you suggesting that you set up some kind of gazebo outside as well?
can you do it inside at all without a booth and extraction? if you had some kind of extraction could you do it indoors without a booth?

What I'm thinking of doing is using one outside but undercover, in which case I'll have to wait for non-windy days. When I get my new workshop finished and built I was actually thinking of doing it in the garage with the double doors open. Are there any health and safety issues with either of these approaches?

One of my neighbours is a professional woodworker and he seems just do it inside a large clear space with no extraction...

One other thing I'm curious about for those who have one is how long you can keep the spray inside. Let's say I'm doing three coats with an overnight dry between each, would I have to completely clean out the gun and refill each day?

I also noticed no one mentioned the Fuji HVLP, which was the one I was considering prior to seeing the Earlex video, however seems to be more for the semi-professional.

I tried everything I could find and was never wholly satisfied with the results, until I borrowed a proper spray booth space with filtered extraction.
Wind is the killer outside. Even a little bit will wreck your job, not to mention the bugs and airborne debris. And if you spray inside you do need clean air and extraction, unless you want your lungs to do the extracting for you!

Whilst there is no doubt that a sprayed cellulose finish is superb, for the home woodworker I think that modern Hardwax Oils are a better answer. They don't need extraction (just normal ventilation) are dry in half an hour, you can do two coats in a day and there is no clean-up. The finish is not as high-gloss as you can get with cellulose, and that is the down-side. But if you are looking for a nice satin lustre, it's the best way I know of of getting a professional-looking finish at home.
S

I use one of these, MaxiMasks with the combination filter (so not just dust filter). If I used that indoors, and then left the room, then that would not be enough?

From what i can gather the spray booth is simply a way to keep all the vapour in one place so the extraction is more effective, however unless you use a fan with filter... perhaps there are some threads on making your own spray booth cheaply for the small workshop.. an idea for an article in BW?

Steve Maskery":2912r1ar said:
Whilst there is no doubt that a sprayed cellulose finish is superb, for the home woodworker I think that modern Hardwax Oils are a better answer. They don't need extraction (just normal ventilation) are dry in half an hour, you can do two coats in a day and there is no clean-up.

I am not very up on finishes, here we have water based varnish, and oil, with no subcategories, so have to import it all, and as it's flammable, that's tricky... anyway, do you have a link to an example of both cellulose and hardwax oils so i can see what you mean?

(BTW: here in Italy, when we have no wind, we really have no wind... when i visit the UK, i now feel like it's always windy there... every second... so perhaps i could get away with outside....

I don't know what is available in Italy, but I'm pretty sure that the Chestnut range is. Terry Smart of this parish is the guy behind that company and will tell you everything you need to know. The reason I think it is available in Italy is because they were featured on the front cover of LegnoLab a couple of years ago. LegnoLab is the best woody mag in Italy*.

Regards
Steve, contributing author to LegnoLab!
LL_cop-marzo10.jpg

*Indisputably, as it the only.........

I don't speak any Italian though, it's all German up in the north of Italy... I'll check out Chestnut though.

EDIT: nice, that links me to a proper "shop" online where i can actually buy stuff i want! amazing... thanks Steve!

Back