Best shows ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to the D&M show at Kempton Park last October, it was good and I spent a bl@@dy fortune.
This year I want to go to one that caters less for general woodworking and more for turning. You know the sort of thing, lots of shiny tools, lathes to drool over, demos from experts etc etc.
I don't mind travelling, I can always incorporate it into a bit of sight seeing.
So which are the best ?

Yandles spring or autumn show quite good but v.busy and demos are a bit ad-hoc, folks gathered round a stand type thing.

APTC I think have a turning weekend at their nuneaton store - a new effort as free / non-ticket so may be a bun-fight.

There used to be a good show at ally pally this time of year, not sure if it is still going.

Classic hand tools did a good show Kent direction, all woodwork but plenty of turning.

Westonbirt do wood event Aug B/H - general craft but plenty of turners & clubs.

I think Toolpost just up the road from you also do 'open house' days with demonstrators, I'm sure Peter there will let you know what he has planned.

Also, recent post on ISCA timbers show.

Others wil be along to add to above I'm sure.

(Other option speak top Terry at Chestnut or ring Sorby and ask what shows they arte doing!)

i hope to go to the south east show this year
only 5 miles away and never been

Steve

Thanks guys
I have been to the tool post open day before and it was good but looking for something larger.
The South East show sounds like it will be worth a visit. Haven't been to Kent for over 40 years

Hi Graham
the north of england woodwork show, also known as the harrogate show in november is very good for turning demos and tools etc.I think you could search this site for more info.The show is run by sks promotions and they are doing a new show at Newark show ground at the end of march if that is any good to you.
regards david

Jethro":frfkahjj said:
Try Tudor Rose show at Daventry May 10 and 11 it is a real good show

Geoff :wink:
Thanks for that. I know from the comments I have read here that they have demos and finished pieces to look at but do they have trade stands there as well ?

davem62":1tbclq3s said:
Hi Graham
the north of england woodwork show, also known as the harrogate show in november is very good for turning demos and tools etc.I think you could search this site for more info.The show is run by sks promotions and they are doing a new show at Newark show ground at the end of march if that is any good to you.
regards david
Great stuff, I will look into those.
And yes Andy, I had forgotten about the event list. :)

I also went to D&M show. I was hoping for a lot more stands about turning but it seems Record were the only ones to put in an appearance.
Its a shame as London, Surrey,Berkshire and Buckinghamshire seem to be forgotten when it comes to anything to do with turning.

Correct....I went to the Kent one last March for that exact reason ie pipper all in the home counties except for D&M which is primarily aimed at the trade. The Kent one was OK. It was a bit, how can I say, "daggy"...a bit down market, the venue wasn't that great and it was fairly small but it is primarily turning and as such it didn't disappoint. I will be returning this year.

Grahamshed":2f4hauxo said:
Thanks guys
I have been to the tool post open day before and it was good but looking for something larger.
The South East show sounds like it will be worth a visit. Haven't been to Kent for over 40 years

Jeez Graham , whatever you did in Kent will surely be forgotten by now :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

boysie39":3e52qc3l said:
Grahamshed":3e52qc3l said:
Thanks guys

Jeez Graham , whatever you did in Kent will surely be forgotten by now :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
:) Funny you should say that. :twisted:

henton49er":vdbppwf0 said:
+1 for Yandles, near my old stomping ground so always of interest to me.

Yes, its a good place to pick up some reasonably prices stock in plank or slab form as well, so much more economical than buying pre-cut round blanks.

Also I note there will be a chance to give Pete (Bodrighy ) a once over on his Yandles demonstrating debut.

Back