Best sharpening, sorted.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, what am I doing starting another sharpening thread?

Well, I wanted to make sure that everyone knows that Peter Millard has finally showed us how to get a properly sharp plane iron, and proved it. So, no more argument please, just watch this and be thankful for some serious scientific research at last.

https://youtu.be/hpJXwEJkgpQ

If he'd rolled the edge he might not have cut his face so much, obviously if hed used (insert chosen sharpening equipment here) he'd have done better. Complete amateur, needs a lesson or two from the masters.

Just kidding Peter. Amusing video. Nice bathroom.

phil.p":126ukv2y said:
That would work":126ukv2y said:
Can I mention my fine Norton india?

as long as it's hollow in both directions. :D

is this hollow enough?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 234
Thanks Andy & all! Fun exercise, but not to be repeated - though I’d like to point out that it planes quite nicely too! :D

That's a relief!

But nevertheless, I'm a cautious old codger and I'll stick to my beard for now. :)

Andy
Can I suggest you put a warning on that video, it really should be watched after the 9pm watershed. :wink:

Can't quite decide whether Peter was brave or foolish, impressive edge though.

Lons":20jcc6et said:
Andy
Can I suggest you put a warning on that video, it really should be watched after the 9pm watershed. :wink:

Can't quite decide whether Peter was brave or foolish, impressive edge though.

All good clean fun! But admittedly, a bit more bare flesh than most woodworking videos... :D

AndyT":kmxcgurl said:
All good clean fun! But admittedly, a bit more bare flesh than most woodworking videos... :D

You obviously haven't watch April Wilkinson (like the razor) then.

wonder if setting the cap iron closer would have helped with the tear out. :D

Back