Best Router for a Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhigh_Arb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, new to the forum, however looking to set up a router table and was wondering what everyone's experiences had been with this?

I appreciate the feedback and thanks in advance.

Will :)

There seem to be a lot of things one can do, ranging from putting your router under a table, to top of the range incra jigs on amazing tables.

i started here: http://www.woodpeck.com/wpproducts.html because i wanted simply a fence and mitre that were parallel and micro adjustable. however after i built the options i wanted, it was well over £1,000!

the other option of a table with your own router, seemed to have problems with how to accurately raise / lower the router. I like to do a cut slightly off what i know i want, and then raising very very slowly, home in on the actual cut, testing the fit each time, until its right, then route all my parts in one go.

the raising and lowering seems to be a problem, most routers are a bit jerky and one worries a lot that after moving any micro adjusters and plunging it back, that i have moved it more than the 1/1000 i intended...

i ended up getting a woodstar table (I think B52), that has a built in router, with a handle out the side, that you can rotate to get as fine as you like adjustments.

only cost £150

was either that or expensive lifter, in expensive table etc...

downsides are that there is no way to ensure the fence is parallel to the mitre, no micro adjusters to move fence back / forward, and the build quality is not that great.

if there are any others out that that you find that do this, let me know and i will upgrade, however this device does me fairly well now that i understand it's limitations, and anything involving a bearing guide, like mouldings is perfect.

ideally all i would be looking for is a table where i can turn a wheel to move a fence back / forward parallel to mitre gauge in tiny increments, and also move the router up / down in tiny increments.

however i feel for this i need to start building something closer to £1,000 then £150

Been through this not so long ago, read though this section of the forum theres loads of helpfull posts including the time i asked.

All i would say is evaluate what you want from it (adjustable speed, this, that....) and the envirioment your going to use it in and then nail down your budget and stick to it! For me it had to be able to pack away, i haven't got a workshop, and do the job - whilst i didn't want tat i moving away from my normal brands had to be considered, and be good value.

A second hand triton bench, new big triton router and a new router table top done all those so thats what i went for. After a few hours making new fences (1 taller, 1 with sliding stop blocks, etc), push sticks and so on im well pleased with it and the reassurance of a big motor munching it's way though everything without a hiccup has provided untold smiles! Its even manageable free hand although im saving up for a little'un :)

My Triton 1/2" model is now 8 years old and still running, I also use the Triton router table and raising and lowering the bits is easy.

So I am still voting for Triton.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, all taken into consideration and will have a look deeper into previous posts.

Thanks Will

For table use yes. Its the same as the Dewalt 625 internally so spares are easy to come by as there are dealers everywhere but the Trend model has the advantage of above the table bit height adjustment. Some people say this function is a bit sticky but it's just not true really. For a couple of quid extra, you can speed up the raise and lower function too. The triton is good and well respected but there have been recent (ish) rumblings about Triton continuing in the UK unless things have changed. You question should really be is it worth spending £150 on what is just a standard router. Why not spend £80 odd on say a Ryobi?

To answer your question about the Hitachi Thomas, yes, I have an earlier version, no speed control, built permanently into the CI extension of my table saw.
Perhaps someone on here can estimate how old the model without speed control is, and it is still going strong.

Roy.

If it's the TR12, mine is from 1980 and still going strong.

A Hitachi MV12 for £150 has to be a fantastic bargain. Its as good if not better than the Dewalt 625, the CMT equivalent and certainly better than the Trend.

Hitachi is one of the most under rated tool makers out there.

Buy it. I just did at that price as I need a new 1/2 inch router.

Alan

So what makes the Hitachi especially good for table use which was what the post was about in the first place? I don't doubt that it's a good router but there are dozens of others that are good too. There are however only a few that are specifically designed to work well in a table and this isn't one of them.

The best router for a router table. It all depends on what your sort of work your going to do on it and what you can afford. Everyone has their own thoughts on whats the best but may not be best for you. Theres lots of routers been mentioned here and all of them are good makes thats been suggested. The only advice that i can offer is to shop around look on the interweb and in the mags, read the reviews. Buy the best with what you can afford, but don't buy one over another just because its got some fancy attachment. The odds are your never use the attachment anyway considering your thinking of mounting it in a table
Hope this helps

router-mad":15gtg9v2 said:
but don't buy one over another just because its got some fancy attachment. The odds are your never use the attachment anyway considering your thinking of mounting it in a table
Hope this helps

But the routers w're talking about are the T11 which has a unique height adjuster that you would use all the time in a router table or say the triton which has a less useful height adjustment but it's collet goes all the way through the base making bit changes very easy. Both are features you would use all the time.

p111dom":m8qpkswl said:
router-mad":m8qpkswl said:
but don't buy one over another just because its got some fancy attachment. The odds are your never use the attachment anyway considering your thinking of mounting it in a table
Hope this helps

But the routers w're talking about are the T11 which has a unique height adjuster that you would use all the time in a router table or say the triton which has a less useful height adjustment but it's collet goes all the way through the base making bit changes very easy. Both are features you would use all the time.

Im sure the T11 is very good and i even own a triton but im sure that people see the this is an ability that should not be ignored but when i say attachments i mean things that stay in the box and never get used but this is what helped persuade you to buy the router in the first place

This question has been asked for as long as I've been on the forum and I've been meaning to make a video about my router table and why I chose the T11 so I made it today.
Click here.

Great video Dom, I could listen to you all day, the UK wood whisper prehaps?!

I think the argument you put forward was good, but for me it fails because it doesn't have above the bit table change, I have the Triton and that is an excellent function, if they could sort the sticky plunge and give it above the table height adjustment it would be perfect, but it isnt!

Back