Best router for £500 fish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rallymantony

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peoples

My Trend T5 has just started playing up, had it for years so can't complain but what to go for now?.....
I've got a max of £500 but would like to pay less of course. I'm starting to use the router more and more and mainly on hard woods. I've researched a little but there's nothing like personal advice from people that actually use them. One thing that keeps bothering me is easy access to accessories that don't cost the earth... I've looked at Festools but you only seem to get the very basics with the machines.

Many thanks in advance
Tony

Are you still looking at the smaller 1/4 routers or going for a 1/2 model which will have a lot more power but will be heavier?

I recently brought a trend T10, same as Dewalt 625 which was based on the original swiss made elu, I got it for £225 from FFX. The T10 is being replaced by what I feel is a more gimmicky T11 and if you look around you might get a good price, look at https://www.toolstation.com/trend-t10-12-variable-speed-router/p79953 This router takes the trend guide bushes and has a reasonable fence, plenty of power. You may want to fit a muscle chuck to it as this then means cutter changes with just a hex key rather than having to hold the spindle lock button in.

Thanks Spectric. I was think of going for a 1/2 but open to all advice. I'll have a look the T10 now.
thanks again

1/2 model will of course give you more power especially cutting hardwood but can be a bit cumbersome when routing freehand. I prefer a 1/4 for small rebates etc when using freehand.

Are you still looking at the smaller 1/4 routers or going for a 1/2 model which will have a lot more power but will be heavier?

I recently brought a trend T10, same as Dewalt 625 which was based on the original swiss made elu, I got it for £225 from FFX. The T10 is being replaced by what I feel is a more gimmicky T11 and if you look around you might get a good price, look at Trend T10 1/2" Variable Speed Router 240V | Toolstation This router takes the trend guide bushes and has a reasonable fence, plenty of power. You may want to fit a muscle chuck to it as this then means cutter changes with just a hex key rather than having to hold the spindle lock button in.
For clarity, the T10 and T11 were released around the same time, T10 aimed more at hand-held use, T11 for ‘workshop’ or table mounting. The latest models are T12 and T14 - ‘cos no-one wants a T13, right?

T12 is a step up from the T10 in terms or ergonomics and handling - everything laid out much more nicely, and easier to use so worth bearing in mind if that’s your intended usage. The T12/14 have built-in NVR-alike switchgear, which is removable / can function as a remote switch on the T14.

T10 is a solid machine - I‘ve had one for a fair few years and it was probably my go-to non-Festool 1/2” router. I recently received the T12 and it’s much nicer to handle, and the baseplates remain constant between the two so alternative bases and accessories will still be of use - something I use to my advantage in a video that’s out very soon.

As @Spectric says though, the T10/11 are available at knockdown prices, so you could get yourself a solid 1/2” router and a decent 1/4” as well, all within your £500 budget. 🤔👍

Taking the above advice a little further, it largely depends what you need a router for, but I have a small 1/4" dewalt for hand held controllable, smaller jobs such as chamfering, flush trimming etc. a Triton MOF001 for larger hand held jobs and a Triton TRA001 in a router table which can be quickly changed to a 1/4", 8mm or 1/2" using different collets.

Edit: But one day I will replace the Triton MOF001 with a Festool....

Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll have a look at the T12 and the other suggestions and go from there. I have seen a
FESTOOL 576210 Router OF 1400 EBQ-Plus GB 240V which looks pretty good and within budget, would you advice the T12 over this?

I run a tra001 in a router table. Seems nice. Plenty of power and easy to use.

I have a t4 (I think) as a small hand one. Don't often use it.

I have a big Hitachi that I used to use in a router sled. Heavy, powerful, brutal (starts with a kick).

I would say it depends mostly on what you want to do as to what you buy. For hand use on edges etc a small lightweight one would be my choice, but for heavy cuts some big half inch thing would be best.

I'm not sure there's a simple answer for you. I've been happy with all three that I have but trying to do the same task on all of them would not be so much fun.

FESTOOL 576210 Router OF 1400 EBQ-Plus GB 240V which looks pretty good and within budget, would you advice the T12 over this?
Why would anyone pay the best part of six hundred pounds for a 1400 watt 1/2 router when you can get a decent 2000 watt T10 for £230 which will do everything the T12 can apart from feeling different and people have been happy with the T10 / Dewalt 625 design ever since the Elu came to market.

In fact you could buy the Bosch GKF 600 Bosch GKF600 600W ¼ with a plunge base Bosch Professional TE 600 Plunge Base and the T10 for less than £600.

Don't fall into the festool trap, you pay a lot for the name and there are often equal or better products out there, for me my XL700 is my only Festool tool because no one else makes one and I still cannot get to grips with it so I still revert back to dowels.

I understand Festool have really nailed dust collection with their routers (better than just about anyone else), but they are too pricey for my pocket.

Like Julian, and MikeJ, I run a Triton TRA001 in a router table; in which it excels (certainly for the money). I wouldn't particularly want to use it handheld though.

Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll have a look at the T12 and the other suggestions and go from there. I have seen a
You won't regret it, it's an absolute joy to use and more powerful than it sounds (I haven't noticed any difference in real life power to an 1800W Elu, there probably is but nothing that matter spinning anything sensible to use handheld). I wouldn't put one in a table that would be a waste for a start but as a handheld router it does most things with the usual really well thought through details around ease of use.

The Festool product line is pricey, but for me, the dust collection and customer support make it worth the money. I was very slow to make the change, but now all of my corded power hand tools are Festool.

The dust collection is not perfect, but certainly better than any of the other power tools I used. I have no issues using any of the tools in any part of my house without worrying about extensive cleanup jobs or choking dust. I had two Bosch routers and the dust collection on them was almost non-existent so they were outside tools. I think some of the chips might have made it to the vacuum, but most of it was all over the immediate area in the garage. One was the GOF 1600CE and I can't remember what the other model was. I also had the TRA001, but never used it so I don't know what it was like.

Love my Festool OF1400, I have used it professionally almost daily for the last 15 years and as said it is a joy to use, seemed a bit spendy when I bought it but that is long forgotten about.

Some people don't get on with it's quirky ergonomics but I like it, makes it easy to use one handed.

I second Festool. I had Elu routers for over 30 years. Tried Makita but sold and bit the bullet with Festool. I have never had to pay full price and the dust collection is excellent.

I bought a 3hp Hitachi and was so pleased with it I bought another to perm hang under my router table…
not as fancy as the overpriced Festool but just smooth n good…

I'm just about to buy a 1/2" router and was drawn to the TRA001. I already have a wee lumberjack 1500 tablerouter and a dewalt palm router but needed a more powerful tool with larger collet.
The TRA001 is about £260 in tool station.

I haven't used Triton before but the online reviews looked good. so any advice would be welcomed.

I have 3 x Elu/ Dewalt 625 routers and they have served me well over many years of use, but I also have a Festool OF 1400 and it is far more refined and, as Doug71 said, it's a joy to use.👍
Unless I need to hog out a large amount of material, the OF 1400 is my go to router for hand held use.....The dust extraction is excellent, especially when edge routing.

It ain't cheap, but in my opinion, it is worth the extra money you pay for the refinement and the electronic brake.

Thanks peoples.
So a bit of a confession here. Last night after reading some of your replies, I popped down to my workshop and pulled out a crate that I hadn't open in years...... Someone jogged my memory when they said they had an old Hitachi, I opened the crate, and sure enough, my old Hitachi was sitting there..... (along with a 1/2 cheap JCB that I bought when I was in a pinch while working away). The Hitachi is 110v though and as I no longer do site work I don't have or want a transformer. I want to make a table so will probably use the JCB for that. I also totally forgot that I have a little palm Ryobi.. (I know I know) that I use for small edging projects etc..
I have a Festool plug saw and guide system plus hoover, I think in my head I'm thinking it would be nice to have one make for all tools, however, I can't ignore the price difference and many of you seem to be very happy with the Trend T10, T12 or T14 so I think this is the way I'm going to go.
Thanks so much to you all for taking the time, very much appreciated. Now for some price comparisons on google...

Back