Best protection for steel firebowl?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbulldog

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new firepit thingy and want to look after it a bit better than the last one.

So, I'm thinking rust protection of some kind (is hammerite ok for this?) and lining the bowl with fire concrete.

Does that sound like a reasonable way to proceed?
Cheers.

You need a heat resistant paint. Google bbq/Stove paint.
Not sure why you want to line the bowl with fire cement? If you line the bowl you will need to heat it more but it will keep heat longer. For a fire pit I would want a thin bowl tbh. Far easier to keep a small fire in and build up a layer of coals to get a bed over time as you are outside and not cooking you dont need to retain heat.

Last edited:
Best way to keep it shiny and new looking is not to light it ever :LOL: but as that may not be option ,Stove spray paint goes up to 600/650 Celsius so should be fine as a fire pit should not get that hot, my wood burners run around 350/400c and no sign of the paint failing at all. Cover well if you leave it out or better yet bung it in the empty corner of your shed when not in use as the rain will do more damage over time than heat.:)

Oil. Sunflower will do. After every use. No paint is designed to survive direct endured heat for prolonged periods. Even if you paint it,the steel will change its molecular structure from the heating and cooling cycles along with adsorbing oxygen and carbon when very hot whoch will encourage oxidation. Oiling after use,ecen better whilst hot, is the best way to prolong the inevitable.

keep it covered and have a barrier between it and combustion. In mine, that lower barrier is sand (but that obviously requires getting after putting the cover on top of the pit or you just have wet sand with ashes in it helping to keep the bottom wet and rusting).

Best material for a weatherproof and heat proof finish is vitreous enamel. It’s a wonderful material.

Might be hard to find a company to do a cheap one off but always worth searching.

I visited a company in the Midlands. So helpful. Spent the day there. They did a couple of free drum smoker prototypes for me, then quoted a bargain price to do some more.
Sadly they’ve gone bust 😢 Not surprised at the prices they quoted, plus all the free pans he gave me.

43ED1EEF-4102-4E64-8106-191CB1236E03.jpeg

1) Place dry sand in the bottom of the bowl - more efficient (and therefore less smoky) combustion - no need for fire bricks/cement.
2) Wood ash is a bit corrosive, so remove ash.
3) Make a cover to keep the rain out.
4) Use oil if you want - as others suggest.
That's it!

Use a grate?

Our firepit is a cut off tank, not really treated in any way, a similar one has stood for many years at a nearby lake.

Back