Best protection for outdoor teak bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi hope someone can help. I have an old teak bench which is getting a bit worn. Today I spent a good few hours with some wire wool giving it a once over. Im now considering sanding it back as best I can to reveal the natural colour, when sanded I initially thought to apply some good quality teak oil, then thought maybe there might be something better to use. I have some clear Osmo oil floating around in the shed, would this be better to use than teak oil ? The issue with teak oil is that it soon greys out and so sanding it down will be a somewhat wasted venture in a few months I think. So can anyone recommend the best protection for outdoor teak furniture ?? If it is indeed teak oil thats best then can anyone recommend a quality brand of 100% teak oil (ive read that alot of the stuff out there is a mixture of teak and linseed). Thanks for any response.

I made some Iroko [poor mans teak] garden furniture over 25 years ago. It is left outside all yer, although over winter has a cover on it. It has had no surface treatment and is still in good order. It gets a very light jet-wash once a year, resorting back to a warm yellow/brown and then within a month or so is back to a nice grey.
As soon as you start applying a finish you will need to do so twice a year to keep it looking the same. I would not bother.

Colin

I made some Iroko [poor mans teak] garden furniture over 25 years ago. It is left outside all yer, although over winter has a cover on it. It has had no surface treatment and is still in good order. It gets a very light jet-wash once a year, resorting back to a warm yellow/brown and then within a month or so is back to a nice grey.
As soon as you start applying a finish you will need to do so twice a year to keep it looking the same. I would not bother.

Colin
Yep this is exactly why Im reluctant to sand it, the wire wool has removed alot of dust and crud which has built up over the years. The bench is very old,1920's or older I think; my Dad first got it about 30 years ago, cleaned it up and used some teak oil on it; It has not been touched since so Yeah its still in good order. HOwever, now that ive wire wooled it, it seems daft not to oil it, if even to nourish the wood and protect it.

Osmo UV protection oil works well, but not on the horizontal surfaces, like the bit you sit on (how very helpful)

Teak oil doesn’t last that long, if you want it pristine then it’s at least once a year.

A pressure washer makes short work of cleaning outside wood

Osmo UV protection oil works well, but not on the horizontal surfaces, like the bit you sit on (how very helpful)

Teak oil doesn’t last that long, if you want it pristine then it’s at least once a year.

A pressure washer makes short work of cleaning outside wood
When you mention that teak oil dont last that long, do you mean it doesn't last that long cosmetically ?? Im not looking for pristine looks, just some last lasting protection that will improve the longevity of the wood. Great tip for not oiling the bits that will be sat on, I might have forgotten that ;)

We have a teak-slatted table top (on a stewe-framed base) - it lives outside most of the summer and is used for dining/drinks etc. I am happy with it going grey, which it did, but it also got to look dirty with black stains. I used some of this restorer Cuprinol Clear Decking & furniture Restorer 1L | DIY at B&Q that has restored the teak pretty much to original colour (it must strip off a small layer, I guess - it certainly involved some vigorous scrubbing with Scotchbrite). Anyway, it worked well.

As with the OP, the problem is now how to protect the wood - as mentioned, I don’t mind it going grey, but I would like to avoid stains from red wine, grease etc. Maybe teak oil is the obvious thing?

Cheers

You can get good teak oil from yatchs chandler's. It will be expensive but the stuff that's designed to work outdoors all year in the med or tropics will have lots of UV resistance and will last in the UK. Starbrite is a good brand.

You should not need to protect the teak. It has natural oils that do the job for you. I thought in ground contact, eg posts, it was good for 100+ years, so as a table it should last even longer.
Yacht varnish acts as a sheet of plastic covering over the surface. When the surface is broken the moisture creeps underneath and is trapped, causing aesthetic problems and the possibility of rot in lesser tiimbers. In very little time the finish will lift and the whole surface will need to be stripped off.

I gave my wooden patio table and chairs it's annual spruce up today, wish I'd taken some before and after photos.

Bought from B&Q about 10yrs ago, made from some kind of tropical hardwood, lives outside all year round.

I just drag it on to the lawn and give it a going over with the hosepipe and scrubbing brush. Over the years it's gone a lovely grey colour and shows no signs of the red wine and tomato ketchup that has been spilt on it despite the fact I don't bother sealing it with any oils or similar.

Thanks for the response tonight guys. So, yes I dont know what to say about it really; varnish is out the equation as it flakes and gets moisture ingress beneath it. Might try the cuprinol restorer as mentioned the something (oil seems the right approach) on that. Then just leave it. I've gotta admit thou; surely teak would benefit from some kind of protection; teak boat decks dont last long without maintenance; surely they use something on them, and varnish it ain't I'm fairly sure !

I would simply re-oil it every 6 months, bestwood make a good quality teak oil, I've used their tung oil and it's excellent.

I have a 20 year old teak bench which has never been oiled. When we got it I read up about treatments and found that I would have to keep doing it if I started. So i left it. Last year I did what I think you have just done and wire brushed most of the lichen and whatever off. I might do it again in another 20 years. I certainly will not use oil, varnish or anything else. I'm happy with it being grey oxidised wood.

I made a bench with some green oak left over from another project a couple of years ago and mistakenly oiled the wood in the expectation that it would enhance the appearance and prolong its life.

Big mistake - after a year outside it looked a mess. So I left it another year brushed off the dirt and most of the remaining finish. Looks much, much better. Matches the raised bed patio surround (also oak). Will probably outlast me and annual maintenance now limited to 30 mins with a wire brush.

we have an old teak garden chair which I keep as an attractive garden ornament as its probably not safe to sit on anymore. Last year I glued all the joints back together and sanded it and it looked great so i oiled it with Danish oil but it wasn't many months before it started to look a dirty grey brown colour and the oil clearly wasn't providing any protection .

So this Spring I sanded it again and gave it 2x coats of Ronseal clear waterproof Decking protector which we had lying around and so far it looks fantastic . The natural Teak colour glows and sparkles in the sun and the lacquer is holding up very well . We have placed it up against a large pampas and the 2x cats love to sit on the chair and wait for an opportunity to jump on the 2x Jack Russels as the pass by and terrorise them .

Back