Best primer for Sapele

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
Making replacement casements for my bay window. What is the best primer and should I use a preservative first including the tenons before they are glued together.

Richard

Everyone has their own methods but I always use Aluminium primer on hardwood, it's spirit based so any following coats will also need to be spirit based.

I should have added that I have used 1-2-3 in the past and found it lacking outside. I also used Cover Stain for an outside window sill and then some Dulus Weathershield undercoat on top and it started to blister after a couple of weeks. Fl;aked off right back to the sanded wood underneath.

Shouldn’t need treatment if a good finish is used, it’s resistant enough on its own. Using a different product on the surface before painting can hinder the paint adherence.
I use an dedicated external, catalysed P.u from Sayerlack, super durable and fantastic finish.

Making replacement casements for my bay window. What is the best primer and should I use a preservative first including the tenons before they are glued together.

Richard

Joinery detailing can have a greater influence on the lifespan between decoration cycles than the paint itself.

3mm radiuses to all external edges: frame edge, sash edges, ends of fills and trims.
Creating a V at joints of frame and sash
Avoiding water traps

I would also recommend end grain sealer.

Tikkurila Otex oil based is the business, it de-nibs better than any other paint I have tried dries quick and is very good at stain blocking. Better than Zinsser.
I stopped using aluminium primer in favour of Otex ages ago, I find the aluminium stuff sticky to paint with.

Not sure its worth using the preservative on the tenons as they will surely be covered in glue.

Ollie

Tikkurila Otex oil based is the business, it de-nibs better than any other paint I have tried dries quick and is very good at stain blocking. Better than Zinsser.
I stopped using aluminium primer in favour of Otex ages ago, I find the aluminium stuff sticky to paint with.

Not sure its worth using the preservative on the tenons as they will surely be covered in glue.

Ollie

Ollie, what do you use/can you use over the top of the Otex? I do like Aluminium primer but as you say it's not the best paint to put on.

Sikkens waterbase external from symphony coatings, sirca external waterbase from Isf coatings, Milesi external waterbase from mylands, 2 coats of primer, sand and apply end grain sealer, 1 coat of topcoat, apply end grain sealer again and then a final topcoat, should last 8 to 10 years, or you go 2k Pu external from mylands, no primer but takes around 4 coats to get perfect finish, swap end grain sealer for a Pu sealer, before final coat again 8 to 10 years, I've tried all these systems and the best results are with the 2k Pu external from mylands.

Back