Best plane for trimming tenon cheeks ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
It's time to begin the search for a new plane. I need a plane that will make easy work of trimming tenon cheeks. I looked at the various shoulder planes but they don't seem quite right for the job. They'd do the job, but they're so tall that they work better on their sides, cleaning a shoulder.

A bullnose would work, but it's not ideal either. I like the look of the LN rabbet plane but I'd like an adjustable mouth.

What I'm coming up with is that I'm probably going to get the LN skew block plane. The addition of the nicker makes it perfectly well suited to working up close the shoulder of the tenon. But, spending that kind of money to trim some cheeks makes me cringe.

My question is this -- why doesn't anyone else make a skew block plane? (nudging Rob Lee over in the corner)

I use the LN rabbet plane and it is my favorite plane :) Words like superb, perfect, exquisite, do not do it justice :lol:

I also sometimes use the veritas large shoulder plane on smaller tenons :wink:

I keep going back and forth between the rabbet plane and the skewed block plane.

I know what you're thinking, and, buying them both is not an option. :wink:

We had some interesting discussion on this here ('bout half way down). They almost managed to convince me I need the #140, but I'm still surviving without it. :wink: Rob's long term tease probably answers your question.

Cheers, Alf

My rabbeting block (60.5) works very well for tenons. It's not skewed but I find that I just don't need a skewed blade for tenons (I think the importance of the skew is way too overrated for tenons). Most of the time the surface is very smooth, and the odd sliver that comes off certainly isn't a problem, it might even be an advantage (not because of a rough surface, as I said the surface isn't rough but a little sliver just gives room for squeeze out and air to move during glue up and dry fitting). For me the adavantage of turning the plane around and using both edges (something which you can't do with the 140) far outweighs any skew. This allows me to use it for shoulders too (even though I have shoulder planes I use my 60.5 more often for shoulders). For a tenon plane the adjustable mouth is, IMO, a non-issue.
Frank D.

Man, now we'll start bugging you guys for a release date. :shock:

This isn't another one of the April 1st releases -- like the Dodeca gauge or the veritas sharpening jig mkII -- is it? :wink:

Rob Lee":1yw4uxd8 said:
[
We will be making what we will call a cheek plane...
If we take into account all the times Rob has teased us with upcoming products and little itty-bitty pictures, I'd say it's about time thay named a plane after the president of the company! :wink:
Running and ducking,
Frank D.

Oh well played, Frank. =D> :lol: Of course if it never materialises we can all claim "We woz Robbed"... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I was wondering if he was calling it a cheek plane as in "tongue in cheek."

Back