Best place to get wood near me? (Telford, Shropshire)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FH93

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some basic tools, as I was going to start my first project of two sawhorses.

I'm stuck on where to get the wood from though. I looked at homebase and the like, but I don't know if it's the right kit.

I'm just looking for wood that is fairly cheap, that I can afford to make mistakes on. I was thinking pine, but I'm not sure what's the best type of wood either.

So where would be the best place closest to Telford to get wood from, and what sort of wood should I get?

NO NO NO avoid the sheds at all costs.
Use the guide sticky on this forum to find decent sources of timber.

EDIT: For some reason the listing show no timber merchants in your area. That cannot be true but simply that no one here responded to Neil's appeal for info from your area when he drew up the list.

The closest place on the sticky would be Dawson Brother's Timber, which is a 45 minute drive. I wanted to keep the drive short as well, but I guess I'll just head there anyway if that's the case. Thanks

Shropshire is very badly supplied for timber merchants! I always travel to Potters in Nantwich, but that's 45 mins for me, probably more than an hour for you.

Alternatively, I've heard good things about Great Barr Sawmills, who are probably only (!) 45 mins from you.

I'm not aware of anything closer.

eezageeza":29m6itiy said:
Shropshire is very badly supplied for timber merchants! I always travel to Potters in Nantwich, but that's 45 mins for me, probably more than an hour for you.

Alternatively, I've heard good things about Great Barr Sawmills, who are probably only (!) 45 mins from you.

I'm not aware of anything closer.

Great Barr Sawmills is actually further, but quicker since I can hit the motorway the whole way there, about a 40 minute drive apparently. Potter's is apparently only a 50 minute drive.

I'm not sure what wood I should get though. What would you recommend? Anything cheap and cheerful will do because I'll make mistakes, but if I don't, I want it to last.

I don't fully disagree with going to a decent timber merchant. Good experience and all that.

However to make a couple of saw horses, I wouldnt dismiss the builders merchants- Travis Perkins, Wickes, etc. You probably won't get the best price but if they are local, and you can select the best of what they have, you will get something suitable for the task and not get ripped off too badly.

I haven't looked at the cutting list for a particular pair of horses, but would expect that some 4x2 and a floor board or two would do the job well enough.

marcros":8jj0ftxg said:
I don't fully disagree with going to a decent timber merchant. Good experience and all that.

However to make a couple of saw horses, I wouldnt dismiss the builders merchants- Travis Perkins, Wickes, etc. You probably won't get the best price but if they are local, and you can select the best of what they have, you will get something suitable for the task and not get ripped off too badly.

I haven't looked at the cutting list for a particular pair of horses, but would expect that some 4x2 and a floor board or two would do the job well enough.

I was going to go off Steve Ramsey's old video. He says you only need 5 2x4's, but I don't know how long they are supposed to be, or what the UK equivalent is.

47*100 or 4x2

I would assume probably 2.4m or 8ft long. Buy a couple of extras anyway and you won't be far off.

Every builders merchant or DIY place will have those.

Marcros is probably right - a trip to Potters is worth it just to see what a real timber merchant looks like, but for a couple of saw horses a few lengths of 2"x4" from a builders merchants ought to be fine. A lot of my early projects were made using timber from Travis Perkins....

eezageeza":2j2a07vy said:
Marcros is probably right - a trip to Potters is worth it just to see what a real timber merchant looks like, but for a couple of saw horses a few lengths of 2"x4" from a builders merchants ought to be fine. A lot of my early projects were made using timber from Travis Perkins....

I've got no idea what wood I'm supposed to be using, or if it should be treated or untreated. I guess when I go to Potter's I can pick their brain about these things.

Untreated lengths of 4x2 "rough sawn" softwood.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Build ... /c/1009004

The first three items on this page. Check out your cutting list to work out which length works out best. Other merchants may not have 3 different lengths but everywhere will have 4*2. Also called 47*100, 45*95 etc. Pick the best lengths, some may be twisted but there will be plenty of others. Wickes has the advantage of being stored inside.

You could also look at the cls studding and see how good it is. It is nicer to handle but is smaller in section and may not be quicker growing.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Studwor ... m/p/107713

All builders merchants will have this. 4*2 CLS.

It will do to make some saw horses from, thousands have been made from it on building sites across the land. If they only last you a few years they won't owe you anything.

Latest posts

Back