best mitre saw blade for avoiding tear out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegreenmartian

Reaction score
hey guys. I'm soon going to be at the stage where i need to cut my wood to length and i need to know which sort of blade is going to give me the neatest cut with as little tear out as possible. I'll be using my dads mitre saw as thats all i've got at the moment so advice on the best width blade and minimum amount of teeth would be great. And i'll be cutting maple and walnut. Dont know if that will make a difference.
Cheers guys

A 60 to 80 tooth blade will be fine. And let the blade do the cutting, take your time.
Most of the blades will be 2.5mm kerf which is ok. Don't worry about the thickness of kerf. If you have a sharp blade if will be fine no matter how thick the kerf is.

To avoid tare out even more depending on your saw you can fit a length a wood in the channel where the blade comes down and into. If its a slider use the trenching feature to stop it binding once you have cut the clearance slot. Also if its a slider and you can't remove the insert for a bit of wood you can fix a new wooden bed to the surface then use the trenching feature so it just cuts into the bed. No tear out at all if you also fit a sacrificial fence.

Hudson Carpentry":2h2a4r1l said:
To avoid tare out even more depending on your saw you can fit a length a wood in the channel where the blade comes down and into. If its a slider use the trenching feature to stop it binding once you have cut the clearance slot. Also if its a slider and you can't remove the insert for a bit of wood you can fix a new wooden bed to the surface then use the trenching feature so it just cuts into the bed. No tear out at all if you also fit a sacrificial fence.
+1 works every time

Stew

Back