Best material for filling a guitar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitpoo

Established Member
Reaction score
In the process of taking a beaten up old Fender guitar body from its current state to something like a guitar again. Tthe body has been hacked around a bit and needs filling in places.

Any recommendations as to the filler to use, given that it'll need a good sanding afterwards, followed by several coloured coats and then lacquer? I dimly remember someone saying car body filler is good, because of its final hardness...

The car filler used by wood model makers and suggested by car repair guys is an 'easy sand' and avoids the problem of the filler being harder than the surrounding wood with the associated difficulties of obtaining a level surface. I dont think there is any apprecable difference in final hardness between 'easy' and 'normal'. Best wishes.

I've not used that but I do use a two part wood filler which you mix prior to use and sets off strong enough to hold fixings. Also sands well. Any professional decorators merchant sells various brands.

Probably Isopon P38 (two part, polyster filler) which I've used to fix car damage and which imo is very similar to Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler.

If it's a big hole that you need to fill...e.g. A pickup cavity, swimming pool route or a floyd rose, then it would be better to fill as much of the hole with wood (whatever the body is made from, mahogany / basswood etc.) and fill in the small gaps with filler.

This epic thread from HCEG shows one way to approach the problem (starting half way down the page)...

click

I use liberon wood filler

http://www.liberon.co.uk/woodfinishing/ ... llers.html

I'm not sure I'd go for P38 as it isn't very flexible (IMHO). I feel the wood filler, which I have used on a cherry tele I built to fill a couple of small tear outs, has not had any negative effect on the voice of the guitar. Also because it is not a two part, it is very easy to use and sand.

Some pics of the guitar would be good!!

Back