Best-looking woodworker's cat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
My entry, the 12 year old Mogswilliam the McPussy

John
3.jpg

Yeah, tell us about the piece of furniture. Nice. :D Ash?

Now I was going to ask if it was for the best-looking woodworker, or best-looking cat, but I guess that pic answers the question! :lol: Pretty strong entry there, John. I'll have to see if I can get ours to drape herself over the workbench while I have the camera handy, as opposed to when I'm trying to get some work done like she usually does... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

The box seat is made from American Ash, basically just a question of joining boards into panels, then cutting and joining them with biscuits. The hinges are counter-top hinges (as in the flap found in some pub bars).
I made it some time ago, as a prototype for a furniture for profit making idea that I had. This was before I learned that kitchens are the only way to make real money from woodwork.

Far more important that the above is Mogswell (also known as 'that fat b*st*rd'). We inherited him when he was two, later he became shop's cat when I had a guitar shop. He used to get into customers' guitar cases and check out the fur lining. I can't allow him into the workshop because when he is hungry he pesters me to feed him. And he's hungry most of the time!

John

Well here's the best I can do. Our 11? 12? maybe 13 yr old (I forget) moggy "Polly".
pollytoolchest.jpg

It was only luck that I got a shot of her at all. Everytime I called her name to get her attention, she rushed towards me and jumped off the ruddy box... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

enough of the moggy tell us about the chest she sitting on. war chest ?
antique foot locker? (chuckles to oneself) sorry for this post
dave w (in a rather strange mood)

Well here is the real owner of the workshop, Laiquendai. Of course posing is out of the question, she was off to check out next doors garden. :lol:
Dscn2352s.jpg

She makes sure I don't have any small furry visitors. She also keeps the dog and the other cat in order. :shock:

Hmm, a definite bias towards the fluffier style of cat here. I wonder, is it a sub-conscious attempt to have a cat that can help sweep up the shavings by simply swishing his/her tail? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Nice topic John!

neilcfd-Harry.jpg

Well, my 11-year-old cat Harry (or the Ginger Whinger as I call him these days) may not be able to compete for the title of best-looking (I think Alf has this sewn up already), but I am willing to bet that he is the most lethal killing machine out there...

Over the years he has caught the usual (mice, rats and unfortunately the odd bird) but in addition to this, he has brought home pheasants, rabbits, stoats and, most impressively, an American Mink:

neilcfd-mink.jpg

He can also make the proud boast that one of his catches is now in a museum - he caught a stoat on the Isle of Man, which wasn't an English or an Irish stoat and which turned out to be a cross between the two, which was designated as a Manx one. It has now been stuffed and is somewhere in the Manx Museum.

I think I could have a good crack at the best-looking dog competition though, especially if old photos as a puppy were eligible.

NeilCFD

Alas, I don't have a cat to show off but if I did it would look like this and his name would be "Lie-Nielsen" or maybe just "Boggs" and conceivably "Clifton"

tiger.jpg

Aww c'mon, Chris. You'd need a workshop as big as Charley's to accommodate it! :lol:

I dunno, looks like a "Stanley" to me...

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":2nnkg00y said:
Is he dead or merely resting?
He's fully alive, thank you, any more cheek like that and he will come round your house and rub against your legs and leave long, difficult-to-remove white hair all over your best trousers. :twisted:

John

Well, Mogswell would certainly win the fluffiest cat contest anyway - I've never seen anything like it. See what you mean about the energy (or lack of) - could be very useful as a workshop draught excluder :lol:

Seriously though, this picture does him much better justice - a very handsome pusscat.

NeilCFD

I'm beginning to wonder if Mogswell and Polly weren't separated at birth. That's a classic Polly pose, and the leaving fur all over the place too... :roll: Of course Polly's been doing all her best "ooh, ain't I bootiful" stuff outside on the garden table, and I can't get a picture. Why? 'Cos as soon as she sees me coming she'll leap up and rush to greet me. (Everyone go "Ahhhhhhhh" here, please :wink: ) Still, I do have her looking very woodwork orientated...
pollywoodie.jpg

Apparently old woodies smell really, really interesting. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Back