Best kit in my workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardsth

Established Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that my new (well old) Startrite 352 is effing brilliant, and I don’t know why I didn’t get a proper bandsaw earlier. For years Ive struggled with an old Axminster (rebadged Jet) 14” unit which was under powered, but this is like night and day. I stuck a 3 TPI Tuff saw blade on it, fitted a Kreg fence, and I can carve 1 mm thin wafers from a 4“ oak beam like butter. There’s no screaming, screeching or blade wander once the guides have been setup correctly.

just thought that I’d mention it.

Attachments

• CE325D97-E8C1-424F-9DBE-74BF9B8222AB.jpeg
    CE325D97-E8C1-424F-9DBE-74BF9B8222AB.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4491DF84-1499-4533-8639-BF318D7C441D.jpeg
    4491DF84-1499-4533-8639-BF318D7C441D.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3174EFB0-97EF-49E1-BEAC-6ECB2ADFD213.jpeg
    3174EFB0-97EF-49E1-BEAC-6ECB2ADFD213.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
I’m with you! I got mine a couple of years ago and probably paid over the odds for it (£750), but I absolutely love it and use it all the time.

The roller guide conversion kits seem to be popular. Are they worth the money does anyone know? The standard guides seem to do the job okay on mine but they are a little agricultural.

That's not a bad result at all, can't wait until I get mine 100%
Not looking like it'll be anytime soon though, awaiting belts for me drill...
but I will be like a child on Christmas morning when it gets finished lol 😅
Definitely my most favourite machine in the workshop.

Tom
SAM_5850.JPG

I paid over the odds for mine as well. I got it for £500, but by the time they added vat, commission, and a mandatory lift out fee (£60!) to wheel it to my van, it was nearer £800. Not to mention a full tank of diesel to collect it. But money well spent.

I’m with you! I got mine a couple of years ago and probably paid over the odds for it (£750), but I absolutely love it and use it all the time.

The roller guide conversion kits seem to be popular. Are they worth the money does anyone know? The standard guides seem to do the job okay on mine but they are a little agricultural.

I got the roller conversion kit (can't remember where from) as I was always found it difficult to tighten the worn original guides.
To be honest in use I couldn't see all that much difference in "performance" other than an easier set-up, I don't think I'd buy them again.

There's a thread on here somewhere (I think from Racers) that showed a homemade roller bearing solution.

Cheers!

Ferenc

I've got a fairly old Axminster 'White' series bandsaw which just about does all I need at the moment but I would love to upgrade to something like a Startrite. Maybe in a few years after I retire and have more time to appreciate such a machine.

When I set up my workshop years ago I bought all old 3 phase machines apart from the Startrite 352 bandsaw (I can’t remember why I made that decision at the time).

Within a year I’d sold it for various reasons but the main one was the lack of power. I seemed to be forever waiting to reset the overload (it was single phase).

I swapped it for a Metalclad 3 phase bandsaw which is much better. It does take about 5 minutes to start and stop though.

I’m sure the 352 in the home shop is great but for my purposes I found it somewhat lacking.

Phil

tooleypark.com

I got mine new from Parrys or Tyzacks in old st. 450 pounds (probably early 1980's) it's so long ago I can't remember exactly which shop it was. I just updated it with a carbide resaw king blade which I got from Canada €250 with all the post and taxes and as usual found a German supplier of Carbide blades that was selling for a €100 inc post a day after I ordered from Canada. I checked both and they seem to be the same blades. Very smooth cut when deep resawing. I got the kregg fence which needs a fair bit of fiddling about to get setup right I found the Kregg resaw attachment with the curved face better for deep cutting. I think the old 352 could do with a bit of adjustment and I might even put a slightly bigger motor on it if I get the time. The original motor used to cut out after resawing 8 inch rosewood, just a bit underpowered. Otherwise a great machine and only fitted one set of new guide blocks since buying it.
Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back