Best joint advice ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which joint would you choose ?

• A

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • B

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the construction. It's for the orangerie lantern.

lantern.png

I need to join that 4.4m ridge board and can't make up my mind on the best joint.
half lap.png

split tenon.png

second split tenon.png

Material is unsorted redwood. The joints can be reinforced with dominos if need be. 45mm wide x 95mm high

A has the advantage of simplicity and ease of manufacture. Using bottom cut router bit and suitable jig I can make sure that each glue face is smooth to give maximum glue contact area.

B has double the glue area. Downside is getting clean faces on the inside of the lefthand piece. I don't have a mansize bandsaw and so would have to do it using the morticer and then attempt to clean it up with a chisel. I have reservations that the tongue on the RH piece is only 15mm thick. NB NOT 35MM AS IN THE DRAWING

C no real advantage as far as I can see plus a lot more work.

I'm leaning towards A.

What do you guys think ?

Attachments

• lantern.png
    lantern.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 146
  • half lap.png
    half lap.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 132
  • split tenon.png
    split tenon.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 133
  • second split tenon.png
    second split tenon.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 153
A or B would suit best, it ideally should be pegged too from the inside face without breaking out on the outside.

Can't you get a 4.4m length?

Trevanion":kfc4krz0 said:
A or B would suit best, it ideally should be pegged too from the inside face without breaking out on the outside.

Can't you get a 4.4m length?

I can and I have but my workshop is too short to machine it in one piece :(

If it were me I would try to get a piece of timber long enough, failing that a nice tight wedged scarf joint as it always looks good.

Merlin

merlin":fj6z9486 said:
If it were me I would try to get a piece of timber long enough, failing that a nice tight wedged scarf joint as it always looks good.

Merlin

I already have some. But as I posted, my workshop is not large enough to machine it. I agree that scarf joints look good but it will be painted which kind of defeats the object !

A with two pegs potentially? I'm trying to understand where the loadings will be, there will be people better informed than I.

A with additional fastening.

Also, given you have unsorted wood and possibly thinner pieces (i.e. c22mm), may be an opportunity to use it up and stagger it to create the length.

Back