best height for a woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
just getting around to thinking about a permanent siting of my woodrat

any experience at the best height to fix it.
i wont make anything over 4feet in length/height so??? :-k

i can include extraction in a unit, so what do you think is
the optimum height?
i can always use a box to get to the top of the router :lol:
paul

Hey Paul...how have you been?

I fixed mine fairly high (it seems). The top of the extrusion is set up nearly to the top of my shoulder.

Should I expand the little shop, I'll probably lower it about 4 inches or so.

Take care, Mike

I have mine roughly 2" below my shoulder (then I can do tenons on longer bits of wood (I'm 6 foot).

One thing with having it this high is you need to protect your eves as the wood cuttings can get you!

Welcome to the world of ratters

hi mike i've been good, following your saw tales,
you mad reckless fool you.
and andy thanks, can't make up my mind whether it is my eyes
or eaves i should worry about.

seems to me i was right about the height, a little over elbow height,
and then a useful hop up to get to the higher bits.

has anyone made a kind of tool box within it??
paul :lol:

I made a tool shelf from the mounting wood
I glues 2 2x6" together to mount the said RAT.
I then made a lot of holes in the wood lfet and right of the router at the back, to hold the spare knobs, allen keys clamps, bits etc etc

All very handy and very easy.

andy that's what i like to see.

second part of the same basic question,
i have a hitachi M12V, but wonder whether that is the
best machine to use. anyone got an idea about the
best machine.. any thoughts about using a festo 2000E

paul :lol:

my rat is 110cm to the top of the router plate i can look down to see what the cutter is doing .the whole thing is fixed to a board 100cmx 42 cm this in turn is fixed to two battens fixed to the wall if i want to move the rat higher i just move the board up the battens ,i have been known to stand on a box to do some jobs :D

frank

standing at 6`2" , i chose to mount my Rat at the height of, half way between my shoulder and elbow this gives ME a nice working height ( more or less staring directly at the top of my Dewalt 625EK , all controls are within easy reach )and is also a reasonable height for a few friends to have a try...also allows a huge space below for that mammoth project (whatever it is) :?:

AndyBoyd":1c1xyvmx said:
I then made a lot of holes in the wood lfet and right of the router at the back, to hold the spare knobs, allen keys clamps, bits etc etc

Blimey. I wish I'd thought of that. I ended up making a little shelf to go next to it. Nwo you've said it, its rather obvious. It juet never crossed my mind..... :oops:

On height, my thoughts BTW, are to have it as high as possible. You do end up looking underneath, so I'd recommend having some goggles handy.

Adam

Back