Best glue to attach ceramic tiles to MDF ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
This year my partner decided to make her Family and friends some Triptych tiled Trivets as Christmas gifts.
They consist of personal photographic prints modge podge'd to ceramic tiles which will be glued to 9mm MDF plaques with round over edges and laquered.

I cut the plaques to size for her as I flatly refused to let her loose with a circular saw but She was adamant she wanted to make the round overs herself so I knocked up a trim router table and fence for her and after some basic safety instructions and dire warnings I left her to it in the workshop. To say my heart was in my mouth would be an understatement but to my surprise she emerged a short while later with a big smile and 7x perfectly formed MDF plaques.!

I believe she intends to glue the ceramic tiles to the MDF plaques with one of the Gorilla glue range .......... what glue would members recommend as most appropriate ?

Can’t say I have done just this, I once fastened welsh slate to timber using CT1 construction sealant/adhesive, there are lots of different types out there. Happy triptyching, Ian

You got me wondering there about my glue gun, not very often used but invaluable sometimes,and the sticks are 11.2 mm, that’s a strange size, is that 7/16 in old money?

route some grooves in the plaques and just use No More Nails

Why would you not simply use Ceramic Tile Adhesive? It's what it is designed for.

This is your answer, it can hold tiles to Ply, cement boards and many other materials, would you be happy if you had a tiler come round and start laying tiles with a goo gun!

Back