Best glue for sticking metal to wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes on kids projects i glue metal embellishments to them to pretty them up a bit, just tin and the likes. At the moment i use rapid epoxy, mainly because it dries clear, and also i need it to dry fast and last for a long long time. I don't want to be sat there holding it for hours till it dries, nor do i have the time to clamp it for days on end. Thing is, epoxy for me is a nightmare, mixing the two together is enough to get me stressed and i'm looking for alternatives.

Any suggestions?

Thanks......Calv.

Titebond polyurethane should do this job. Probably need about an hour to set. It doesn't need mixing, the moisture in the wood is what makes it go off
John

I think polyurethane would foam all over the place though. Might not be the best option for attaching small embellishments. It can be quite tricky to clean up the foam and it always shows through the finish.

Araldite does sound like the best choice to me - what's the problem mixing up the two parts?

Well it's not so much of a problem, but because what i glue is very small i end up having to spread the glue on using a cocktail stick and this can get real fiddly, i was wondering if theres anyting out there that i can use with more precision but which is also fast bonding. The mixing it every time is just a hassle and would prefer something thats more user friendly. Does that sound lazy lol? :oops:

Calv

Afraid to say that epoxy is the best solution for gluing metal to anythng. I used some 3M stuff a few years ago that dried dark grey but was the strongest glue I have ever used with metal - impoortant when making kids toys!!

What about cyanacrilites the model makers seem to have good results with these and the multiple distilled ones give longer cure times and a thicker consistency so they stay where put.

Check your local model shop

Bean

Back